29 Ways You Should Prepare For Studying Abroad

Honestly...

188

It is almost that time of year again when a majority of the junior class is venturing off into the great unknown to explore the deep depths of the world…if only they knew how. Well honestly, I don’t think any student actually knows what they are doing until they are doing it.

Before I finished my sophomore year, I met with my advisor and told him that I was planning to study abroad next year in the spring. His response was of course, “Oh, you don’t have to worry about that right now, there is so much time,” but honestly, there is never enough time.

Even though I applied to my study abroad university way ahead of the deadline, there is no such thing as too early. That is why I created this checklist for those of you who are studying abroad next semester or plan to study abroad in the future.

Before you leave Ithaca you should:

1. Be super excited that you have the opportunity to study abroad

2. Make sure you are financially able to study abroad (thanks, Mom and Dad)

3. Meet with all the necessary people at Ithaca College to make sure this opportunity won’t prevent your graduation (Financial Aid, Study Abroad Center, Registrar… everyone)

4. Figure out what classes you still have left to take

5. Narrow down your long list of places you want to go to

6. Narrow down your choices of universities in that country/region

7. Apply well in advance of the deadline date

8. Cry a little bit, because that application was probably stressful

9. Set up your post-acceptance study abroad meeting with the Study Abroad Center

10. Fill out all the paperwork for Ithaca College

11. Scan and submit all the documents from your meeting onto your Ithaca College study abroad profile before your semester starts

12. Find classes at your study abroad program that match the classes you should be taking at Ithaca College and meet with the chair of the relevant department to have them signed off

13. Cry a little bit more

14. Attend the study abroad info sessions to figure out how you need to prepare

15. Slowly start to realize that studying abroad is super expensive

16. Figure out your housing situation for when you come back to Ithaca in the Fall

17. Make sure you know how to register for Fall IC classes while you are abroad

18. Find out your accommodations for your study abroad experience

19. Realize that wire transfers are outrageously slow and the fees are crazy

20. Purchase your student visa (something I still have to do)

21. Cry a little because you are doing this and school work at the same time

22. Start the transition to your university’s email system and knock-off HomerConnect

23. Curse under your breath a little because your email notifications are blowing up and it stresses you out

24. Feel like you are annoying your study abroad advisor because you’re asking them so many questions

25. Figure out everything you can about the place you are going to

26. Plan out your airplane ride

27. Freak out because you realize that you are going to have major jet lag and sleeping is your favorite thing to do

28. Enjoy your winter break while preparing for your departure/saving money

29. Arrive/cry because it all worked out (#meinFebruary)