Premiere: Brinley Addington Goes Behind "Those Kinda Songs"

The EP, Songs from a Bar, is now available across all streaming services

70
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/05/27/636630211251109694123083822_Screen%20Shot%202018-05-27%20at%202.31.57%20PM.png

Brinley Addington has been a part of the country music scene for quite a bit now. Having just released his first EP, Songs from a Bar, Addington is now establishing himself as not only a songwriter, but as an artist. Wanting his fans to know the stories behind his songs, he has recorded the backstories for some of them. "Those Kinda Songs", the first song off of his EP, is about how he wanted to try to write a sad song that didn't feel sad and he executed it amazingly. To get to know a little bit more about the song and Brinley Addington check out the video above and the interview below:

Question 1: How did you first get involved in the country music scene?

Answer: I’ve loved country music since I was about three years old, but when I moved to Nashville I started by putting a band together and playing anything and everything I could get into. We played on Broadway for a few years then graduated to playing fraternity and sorority events all over the southeast which led to fair and festival stuff. All the while, I was writing songs and meeting super talented writers, musicians, and industry folks. I credit a lot of the connections I’ve made to my time at Belmont University. A lot of the people I met there I still work with and a few are some of my best friends. I guess that’s how it happened.

Question 2: Where do you draw inspiration from for your songwriting?

Answer: It comes from everywhere. I try to write from personal experiences or the experiences those close to me go through as much as I can because that’s what I’m drawn to as a music fan, but sometimes it just comes from ideas or stories you make up in your head that are fun or that tug at the heartstrings and make you feel something.

Question 3: Do you find it difficult to be vulnerable when drawing upon life experiences with other songwriters?

Answer: Not at all. I’m always excited to hear other writers’ stories and I’m not shy about sharing mine. I value honesty a lot and I think the more honest you are, the better the song ends up being.

Question 4: Who has musically influenced you?

Answer: It’s impossible to narrow it down to one person or even a group because I listen to a lot of different things. But some of my favorites are Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, George Strait, Randy Travis, Tim McGraw, and pretty much any 90’s country. As a writer, I’d have to say, James Taylor. I didn’t start thinking about how songs are crafted until I heard his music.

Question 5: If you could give other musicians one piece of advice what would it be?

Answer: It might sound a little cliche, but my advice is to be yourself and write, sing, and play what you like. If you believe in it and genuinely love what you’re doing, it not only will be obvious to other people and pull them in, but you’ll be happy doing it. That to me is the whole point of making music, to love and enjoy what you’re doing.