I Can Confirm That Pre-Medical School Anxiety Is 100 Percent A Thing

Trying to manage the pressures of wanting to go to medical school.

57

I, like many others, have dreamt of going to medical school ever since I was in high school.

At the time, I just had an inkling that this was something I had wanted to pursue, but I didn't realize that in a short few years when I would be a college student, this would ultimately consume my life and become my focus.

It is well known that getting into medical school is very difficult, and that the competition is fierce, and sometimes competition can bring out the worst in people. I'm sure some of you are also familiar with the stories of sabotage and backstabbing in prerequisite classes, I personally have never seen or experienced this, but I have seen the stress and competition change people's personalities in other ways. Many, including myself, have become incredibly anxious and neurotic when it comes to school and extracurricular activities. This has been hitting me especially hard lately as I'm beginning to get through the bulk of my prerequisite classes (basically struggling through organic chemistry) and the MCAT is beginning to slowly creep up on me.

If I think about my prospects too much I will begin to spiral into self-doubt and often feel like giving up.

The pressure can sometimes be crushing to my psyche, and too much to deal with. The goal almost feels unattainable for me right now, and I often feel as if I am not good enough or what I am doing isn't good enough. It also doesn't help when I compare myself to others, especially those who I perceive to be doing better than me. It's challenging to find balance between doing well in school, working both of my jobs, trying to do extracurriculars, and managing my family and social life, I feel as if the word challenging doesn't even properly describe the feeling of being pulled in all these different directions.

I have heard the same sentiments from some of my peers, and I think that this feeling is shared even if you don't want to go to medical school necessarily. If you have a long-term goal you're trying to achieve, at times it can feel impossible to achieve, especially when you have a lot going on in other facets of your life. It's easier said than done, but sometimes you have to slow down, take a deep breath, and focus on the moment or task at hand.

It's necessary to go one step at a time, because it's incredibly easy to get caught up in the big picture or the details, trying to do everything perfectly. or trying to keep up with others.

It can be hard to get out of that frame of mind once you're in it, but sometimes you have to just go slowly and have faith that everything will be ok.