Practicing Gratitude

Practicing Gratitude

The grass isn't always greener somewhere else...

27
Practicing Gratitude
Bonnie Pang

Gratitude: feeling of appreciation or thanks

Of course I'm going to reference a line webtoon again. This time, it is Roar Street Journal by Bonnie Pang.

I was searching for clothing online this morning and thought, "I have about 7 outfits, that isn't much. I should get another dress."

And then I realized what I was actually thinking. So I sat around and found this comic specifically that I had read a while ago called "The Grass is Greener on the Other Side," and was reminded about being grateful for what I do have. While the comic episode focuses on envy more outright, I realized that in some ways I was a bit jealous of others by my thinking about how "everyone has a new outfit or two at the beginning of the year."

I prefer to practice positive thinking. So this is a general reminder that everyone has wants and desires, and it is easy to fall into an addictive cycle these days which flows from want, obtain, enjoyment, boredom, want. The idea that the new becomes mundane is a falsity created by the constant influx of better and improved models.

Thinking that "it could be worse" is a half-step towards gratitude for what I do have. I may wear the same 6 dresses over and over again until they break, but I also have the ability to go to college and read books and listen to music on my iPod. And I try to remember to practice gratitude as often as possible.

You can look at it as either, creating memories to an object, thus giving it sentimentality, or rejecting all attachment. Being stuck in the middle leaves room for conflicted feelings. Don't stop reaching for improving, or for more if you feel you want it, but remind yourself where you are now. Be humbled by the fact that you get all this awesome stuff already.

Instead of being snide towards those who complain about breaking their second iPhone's screen, why not just remind them of all the good things in their lives? It's not about being sarcastic or pointing out how amazing their life is, but rather allowing someone time to reflect on the wonderful things in their lives.

It's really about breaking up a string of negativity. That doesn't mean that the person shouldn't get their phone fixed, but rather, they take a moment to remember the great things they do have.