Self Care Is Important

12 Ways To Practice Self Care

When the future looks bleak, I take a deep breath and know that no matter what, God has me.

240
https://pixabay.com/en/first-aid-box-tin-can-sheet-color-1732524/

Have you ever been so busy that you feel like your head might actually spin-off of your body? Have you ever been so overwhelmed that you want to crawl into your bed, pull the covers over your head and ignore everyone and everything? What about fixating on something, replaying it over and over again, and analyzing every little detail?

If you've experienced any of these scenarios - you're definitely not alone. In my 24 years of life, I can't count the number of times I've found myself overwhelmed to the point of exhaustion. Whether it be from school, work, or emotional battles - I would put way too much on my plate, not listen to my body, and end up an emotional mess.

Since recovering memories of my abuse, I've experienced a lot of those moments.

But over the last couple of months, life has been easier to handle. I attribute that change to two things: God and Self Care.

I can't image fighting this fight without my faith and leaning on Him. When the future looks bleak, I take a deep breath and know that no matter what, God has me.

The other crucial element is Self Care.

The practice is different for everyone, but basically, it's the crazy notion, that taking time out of your day for yourself is important to your physical and mental health. To collect yourself, be nice to yourself, look after yourself.

The following is a list of Self Care practices that work for me, and I'm guessing they will work for you too.

1. Take a walk, or just get outside.

Photo by Tobi from Pexels

2. Step 1: Get a cat. Step 2: Snuggle that cat.

Phoebe LaFave

3. Color.

Photo by J. Kelly Brito on Unsplash

4. Sing your heart out.

Emma Rogan Photography

5. Watch your favorite movie or show.

Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash

6. Curl up on the couch with a good book.

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

7. Journal.

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

8. Say no to plans if you're not up to socializing. 

9. And if you are, surround yourself with positive people who love and support you.

Phoebe LaFave

10. Have a spa day, even if it's just at home.

11. Unplug.

Photo by Tracy Le Blanc from Pexels

12. Close your eyes. Control your breath. Let go, and let God.

Photo by Anthony Tran on Unsplash