Practice Gratitude This Thanksgiving

Practice Gratitude This Thanksgiving

What I'm truly thankful for this thanksgiving.

50
Practice Gratitude This Thanksgiving
Leyla Sarper
"Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance." Eckhart Tolle

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'd like to take this time to publicly express gratitude and say thank you to a few people and things in my life. It's been scientifically proven that gratitude improves psychological health by increasing happiness and reducing depression. As if that isn't enough, other benefits include: sleeping better, increasing physical health, and enhancing empathy. And all of that aside, it's the right thing to do.

Here are just a few of the people and things in my life that I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving 2016:

1. MY HUSBAND

I'm so thankful that I've found someone who is there for me no matter what. Just this morning, my car battery was dead and of course, he ran downstairs to fix it. Thank you for being my best friend, massage therapist, Netflix binge partner, and travel buddy. Not enough time to list all of the things that I can thank him for. So let's just leave it at that. I love this man and I'm so grateful to be his wife.

2. MY iPHONE

I love this thing. I still can't believe that we get to carry around mini computers in our pockets. It's my day planner, my stereo, my entertainment, my camera, and most importantly my communication. We take for granted all of the cool things we have in our lives. So thank you, iPhone. Thanks for existing and making my life easier.

3. MY FAMILY

Everyone says they have the best family. But I really think mine IS the best in class. My mom and dad are so supportive and caring. I know I can call on them for anything I might need. I have a bad ass little sister who's literally out there making the world a better place. And then, there are my in-laws. How did I hit the jackpot like that? All of my family on my husband's side is loving, supportive, and so much fun to be around. I also have two young nephews who I adore and am getting lots of child rearing practice out of ;) I love them and couldn't imagine life without them.

4. MY JOB

Since February of 2016, I've been working at a marketing agency called Digital Fusion. I absolutely love it there. Many people talk about how annoying their job is or how horrible their boss is. I can't say the same thing. I really like where I work and for that I feel truly grateful. Among the things that I love are the free snacks, being able to work from home 1x a week, the amazing culture, and the nap room. Yes, a nap room! I have sleep issues, namely narcolepsy, and when they found out that I need to take little naps at work to be more efficient, they dedicated an entire office as our company nap room. I was floored at how thoughtful they were. The other day I text my husband saying, "you know you're working at a cool place when you get woken up from your nap room to people playing ping pong." Besides the perks I mentioned, I do enjoy the work that I do and I've learned so much. Thank you, job!

5. MY SUPERVISOR

As I mentioned above, most people complain about their boss or their co-workers. I feel really lucky to work on someone's team that truly values me as a person and the work that I do. My supervisor is always checking in with me to make sure I'm okay or if there's anything that I need assistance with. Knowing that you can ask for help is a godsend in the workplace. The other part that I'm truly grateful for is knowing that my supervisor cares about what's important to me in my career and life. I know that my best interests, goals, and well-being are put into consideration. I feel very thankful for this.

6. TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION

What a time to be alive! What a time to work in marketing. The technology and marketing technology innovations that we see on the daily are something to be thankful for. The fact that I can push a button and have food delivered, a taxi at my door, or I can FaceTime instantly with my uncle in Istanbul are among the reasons I'm so thankful to be a 29-year-old in 2016. There's never been a better a time to start your own business. Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook Live, and many other apps make it possible to have a successful business or side hustle, all through the internet. Our grandparents and even our parents didn't have nearly the amount of options we have today.

7. MY FRIENDS

I feel so fortunate to have a great group of friends. Some I see weekly and monthly, and some just once or twice a year. But no matter how much time passes, we pick back up where we left off as if no time had passed at all. I feel grateful to have a core group of friends that have been with me for so many years now. I wanted to shout out to one of my best friends, Sonja, who recently gifted me the 5 Minute Journal. If you are thinking about getting back into journaling and practicing gratitude daily, this is the journal for you. At the top of each page is an inspiring quote or challenge for the day, and then it has spaces where you can write what you're grateful for each morning, what would make each day awesome, and at the end of the day you can write down 3 amazing things that happened. I'm a week into the 5 Minute Journal and I love it so much. Thank you, Sonja! And thank you to all of my girls, you know who you are. I love you.

"If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily." Gerald Good

What are you thankful for? I'd love to hear in the comments below. Thank you for stopping by. Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving!