Post Voting Checklist
Politics

Post Voting Checklist

Things to ask yourself before you get a ticket out of the country.

7
Post Voting Checklist
Elliott Stallion // Unsplash

Let's go ahead and flashback to election night. You were watching your TV, sitting there quietly, and nervously watching the results coming in from different states. It's the first time you have watched the news like a hawk since 2008 and 2012. You've actually been watching the news for all that year than you had in the last three. The results came in and your candidate did not make the cut. You voted your you-know-what off you were promoting their name in the streets, in the churches, in the schools, and everywhere that allowed you to solicit people for votes. Possibly, you could be the very person that has thought about going to the polls but the way that this election year turned out you just decided what's the point, opted out of voting this year and hoped for the best. Well for both people, Things did not turn out in their favor. It's time to abandon ship because the United States of America has fallen. But before you apply for that passport, or buy the next plane ticket out of the country, take a moment and ask yourself these questions.

1. Did I vote for my candidate for the right reasons?

More than often, we find ourselves wondering after elections ever since Bush in 2000, why did we vote for this person again? If you feel like you are justified enough to say I chose my candidate because they bring up issues that matter to me, issues that matter to the community I live in, and issues that need to be brought up frequently, then you voted for the right reason. If your only excuse for voting for candidate A is that candidate A "tells it like it is," ignoring the fact that they have no experience in politics and no consideration of his words, you may have chosen wrong. Prepare the bomb shelter.

2. Did you know who to vote for?

Sometimes we vote for people out of peer pressure or because you are just putting a name down. The latter most commonly happens when you're voting locally. If you have done your research about who to vote for then this question has been answered. As for the rest who have refused to do this, it's time to hit the books.

3. DID YOU VOTE?

This right here is the million dollar question. Let's say you are that social justice warrior that was all on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or any social media platform commenting on the whole election. You hate the candidates and their platforms. Third party are not even appealing enough. You sad about Bernie dropping out of the race. Your frustration is understood, but did you vote? The fussing and speech about the election is about as valid and useful as a degree from Trump University if you did not vote! Remember the saying that "A voteless people is a hopeless people."