Contrary To Popular Belief, Post-Millennials Work Just As Hard As Previous Generations

Post-Millennials do not have it easier.

314
Rawpixel

The absolute biggest pet peeve that I have regarding the perception of Generation Z Millennials stems from the "adult" ideation of the generation. Z Millennials (roughly classified as babies who were born between 1991 and 2000) are constantly cited in professional literature and research studies as a group of dependent children who angst-fully reside in their early to mid-twenties, and refuse to grow up.

This description is referenced by seasoned adults and professionals as Peter Pan Syndrome. Additionally, members of the previous generation continue to stigmatize Z Millennials by associating the collective with being lazy, overly sensitive, and narcissistic. A slew of other misconceptions regarding the generation has surfaced due to the previous opinions, which Z Millennials strive to dismantle, including a total disregard for work ethic, job performance, financial literacy, and an understanding of politics.

Although some of the negative claims used to separate the Z Millennials from the baby boomers ring true in some of us, it is not accurate to categorize all of us inside an uneducated couch potato stereotype. In reality, this classification can be seen as more of an insult to the baby boomers rather than to the millennials – it is all about the perception of language.

Z Millennials can easily flip the statement to negatively associate with baby boomers and exclaim something cheeky such as “Well, look at who raised us!” However, this would be a hypocritical approach as it would stereotype all baby boomers as inept in the parenting department or as the generational group who lacked the fundamental skills to raise competent, successful adults.

Granted, I do not assume this about baby boomers. As far as my parents are concerned, I have witnessed quite the opposite throughout my upbringing. However, my expression of the previous generalization could sway the entire generational group to deduce that I hold a negative opinion of them. Thus, depicting the detrimental nature of my pet peeve.

That being said, it is unjust to characterize a whole generation, especially the future of this country, as unfit to become independent. On the contrary, Z Millennials have become one of the hardest working, highly educated generations to date. For instance, a numerous amount of college-aged students take on a job — along with full course load — to pay off loans. This alone proves Z Millennials to be a generation that consists of high-level thinkers, efficient multitaskers, and financially aware citizens.

Not only that, Z Millennials have come to represent the exact opposite of a generation that refuses to grow up in the process. More often than not, Z Millennials can be seen in parental roles, functioning as a supplemental guide for younger siblings. Similarly, in unfortunate scenarios which involve a loss in the family, millennials mature early on in order to become a support system for other members of the family.

In essence, my pet peeve highlights the awful categorization of Generation Z Millennials as dependent freeloaders, which directly feeds into the unfavorable perception of the generation that is supported by professionals and members of the previous generation.