Finding A Job After College

A Few Things You Must Remember When Looking For A Post-Grad Job

Post-grad life is starting early!

64

Much like other college students on the cusp of graduation, I am super concerned about finding a job after graduation.

All your life has been leading up to this moment. Part of the reason I wanted to go to college was so that I could have an easier time finding a career. After you receive that diploma there are no more excuses. There's nothing left standing between you and the working world.

In the past couple of months I've started stressing out about finding a job as my graduation date from UCLA steadily approached. Here are a couple things I found out as I conducted my very own job search for working post-graduation…

1. Don't be afraid to look online

There are plenty of reliable online resources for finding jobs that can be a useful place to find somewhere to work that isn't the "Help Wanted" section of the newspaper. Websites like Craigslist or indeed.com were a huge help and had employers who contacted my promptly after I applied through the websites.

2. Have a resume that's only one page long

Kind of like not knowing you need to get a beauty blender wet before applying makeup, I've made it this long without finding out that a resume is meant to be one page long. With a few sections dedicated to relevant work experience, education, extra curricular activities, and skills, a resume should not exceed more than a page, unless otherwise specified.

3. Embrace business casual

You gotta look the part to get the part. Dressing respectfully will help employers to see what kind of employee you might be before you even open your mouth to start the interview process.

4. Don't be discouraged!

If you find that you've been turned away from a job, cannot find the exact work you've been looking for, or have not been receiving responses from places you've applied to, don't worry about it. It can be hard to find a place that's a perfect fit, but keep at it and you'll get there eventually.

With these things in mind, hopefully you'll be off to the office in no time!