How can I deal with a concussion?
Travel

How I Got Through Multiple Concussions

Dealing with multiple concussions is quite a challenging feat for anyone, especially college students.

23
Sarah Grace Johnson

Five months ago, my concerned parents moved a car, a closet full of clothes, and a frail 108-pound girl home from college in the middle of the semester.

That weak girl somewhat resembled myself, but looking back I can hardly remember the haze my jumbled-up brain had become from three concussions in a year and a half time span which led to severe Post Concussive Syndrome.

When the threats of diseases such as Brain Cancer or the possibility of Multiple Sclerosis became too much to ignore any longer, my education and college life as I knew it came to an abrupt halt.

After losing the strength to tie my own shoes, and the mental capacity to cross the street on my own, the probability of having to withdraw from college classes, and maybe even the entire semester was increasing by the day.

If not for my strong Christian faith and belief that God had a greater plan for me, I wouldn't be where I am today.

When my whole world fell apart it was my family, friends and most especially my sorority sisters that carried me through my darkest days and led me back to the light.

To Tristan, my Big, thank you for knowing what I needed before I did through it all.

To Madison, my Little, thank you for the endless phone calls and listening to my rambling nonsense.

To Fab5, even though none of us go to the same schools anymore, thank you for the constant prayers and encouragement.

Five months later and I can thankfully say that I am healthy once again and back better than ever. Thanks to the help of so many great friends I ended up getting to finish out the semester, despite missing many classes for doctors appointments.

No matter how tough the road ahead may seem, never lose the faith. Things often have to get worse before they get better. We all have our own battles to fight, and when the time is right we will overcome whatever may be troubling us.

"When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze."
-Isaiah 43:2