Five Major Technological Advances in History
News

These are some of the inventions and technical and scientific advances that have revolutionized the history of mankind.

905

Throughout history, there has been a great deal of progress that has helped humanity take a giant leap. Many of them, at this time have become completely obsolete, others have been developing until they become a fundamental part of the day to day . And others, which go more unnoticed, are essential for society to have a good level of hygiene and health.

1. The sewer
The sewerage system, as it is known today, has its origins in 19th century Europe . During this period, hygienic thinking spread the idea of applying measures to improve sanitation in large cities. The earliest known sewer systems date from around 4,000 BC in Nippur, India. Later on, there are references to the Roman sewer system in 600 BC . Without this system, the result of civil engineering, many of the diseases that are currently kept under control could strongly shake society.

2. The printing press
Towards the year 1440, a search began in Europe for a system to be able to distribute texts quickly . Johannes Gutenberg was the pioneer in introducing movable type printing. This advance in technology was not only a revolution when it came to copying texts, but it also meant an evolution in the transmission of new ideas.

3. Steam engine
From the 18th century on, improvements on this machinery produced the development of the industry, society and transport of the time . Causing the countries of Europe to begin a process of industrialization.

4. The computer
In 1936 it developed the first programmable computer, a binary mechanical calculator that occupied an entire room. It wasn't until the 1970s that the first personal computer , created by engineer Edward Roberts, was introduced. This electronic device was the germ of an industry that would evolve to provide user-level computers .

5. Internet.
The network of networks that allows the decentralized interconnection of different computers, was developed in 1969, as a military project of the United States during the Cold War. But over the years, it has become one of the key communication technologies, especially in the new millennium.