Positivity Is Key

Positivity Is Key

You've been practicing your butt off for recruitment, but it's all about attitude.

5
Positivity Is Key

Sorority recruitment- the two words can bring thoughts from two completely different ends of the spectrum.

On one hand, there's excitement in the air. Over four days, you get to meet hundreds of different personalities that could potentially be your new sisters. And after those four days you have a brand new pledge class running to you on Bid Day, which is one of the most exciting moments all year.

But on the other hand, it can be exhausting. Actually, let's be honest-- it IS exhausting. Practices enough can be stressful. When you're in a room for over four hours with over 100 women who love to talk and your recruitment team is constantly telling you to shut up can be enough to drive anyone up the wall. 

Then you have actual recruitment. Four long days of constantly talking. You can't feel your legs, and your voice sounds like a bad Gollum impression. You're tired and you'll probably have your recruitment songs stuck in your head 24/7. Last year I had nightmares about them. Talk about scary. 

With all the negative aspects that come along with recruitment, it can be hard to stay positive. With everything going on it's easy to accept having a bad attitude. I hear countless numbers of sorority girls complaining about how exhausting recruitment can be. I have been in their shoes more than once or twice.

We can practice and put a ton of time and effort into recruitment, but it doesn't matter if we're too busy complaining about how tired we are or if we would love to be doing the millions of other things we have on our plate for that particular day. 

It all comes down to this idea-- people go through recruitment to join people. Our vice president of Recruitment has stressed to us many times the idea that you "will perform how you practice." And if we practice with bad attitudes, then the girls coming through will see that. No one wants to join a organization with a bunch of whiners.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we all need a big attitude check. So what if we have homework to do? So what if you have to squat for 20 minutes on end because that's your position in your recruitment song? Would we be in these amazing organizations if the girls recruiting us were rolling their eyes?

So put on a smile. If someone screws up and makes you stay longer after practice or something doesn't go as planned, who cares? Your mission is to find charismatic new members to join your sorority. So put your best foot forward and let's show these girls how inspiring our members really are.