Positivity Is Contagious

Positivity Is Contagious

Thoughts on creating a positive change.

1077
Tayler Burch

Have you ever heard that negative thoughts bring a negative life? Well, in all honesty, it is true. Throughout my life, I have learned to believe that if you believe something beautiful or wonderful is going to happen, then it's going to happen.

I am not here to write about my happiness journey, though. I want everyone to experience exactly how I have been feeling and exactly why it is so addicting. When one singular person starts a chain reaction of positive acts, it can grow to a bigger movement. Now, think about the most positive person in your life. Why do you think they are so positive all the time? I can bet that they are positive because 1) they become what they think about and 2) someone else has impacted their life so much that they created their own ripple effect of happiness and positivity. I understand that being positive all the time is unrealistic because everyone is able to feel emotions that are valid and those emotions should not be ignored. Although this is true, being negative all the time is more damaging and can lead people to an incredibly unhappy lifestyle. Throughout my 19 years of life, I have noticed that the most negative people have the worst time getting over things, getting through rough times, and experience more anger and disappointment.

There is a lot of negativity in this world, but being able to put that all aside and focus on the things you can control and making them better is going to make you so much happier in the end. Focusing only on the things that are not fixable, such as your "lack" of a talent, that you have not met "the one" yet, or other people's emotions towards you, is only going to make you miserable. What is worth thinking about are the one's who do love every part of you, the talents you do possess, and the obstacles you have overcome in your lifetime. It's up to you to make that positive change in your life and to stop worrying about what does not matter or what is out of your own control. Negativity can get the best of you.

So, to those people who aspire to start a positive change in their life, I want to challenge you to do something. I want you to do something positive for you, for your family, for your friends, for your roommates, or even for your pet at least once a day. This can range from anything like doing a chore that has been nagging at you and your roommates and finally getting it done, to buying your mom some nice flowers to decorate the living room. You can even treat yourself to a pamper day because you got an A on a test you studied incredibly hard for. Whatever that positive impact is to you, just do it. I promise you one thing will happen from this and that is that you will feel better. You will create a ripple effect of positivity in the lives of others, but especially in your own.

Something I have noticed while doing this is that the more I do it, the happier I am. Even if it was only a heartfelt text to my friends telling them how much I appreciate them and all they do for me, to visiting my parents on the weekends, I noticed a positive change in me. I realized how much happier I was because I was able to impact someone else in a good way. Positivity is contagious and you can be the one to start a ripple effect that impacts others, but most importantly, impacts yourself.