The Importance Of Staying Positive, And Not Just For Finals Season

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

231

I read somewhere recently about a study showing that people had a significantly lower death rate over 30 years if they maintained an optimistic attitude. I found it a fitting fact with finals season upon us, and with a whirlwind year soon coming to an end. I've always been of the mindset that everything happens for a reason, and although life may give us a lot we don't think we can handle, it usually turns out okay. At least, in my experience, I've found this to be true.

With finals season wrapping up, it's important for students to remember all of the hard work, time, and effort that they put in this semester. While we might not all come out with grades that we wanted or expected, we have to learn from whatever it is and move on. Because there's always more to look forward to, and it's only the fall semester. Most of us have a long way to go, a way that definitely will not be easy. It may be a bumpy road, but hey, at least it's going somewhere.

Here are some reasons that staying positive is the best way to get through anything.

As mentioned above, staying positive is shown to correlate with better health. When you think positively, your mind has a great effect on your body and you are more likely to have a stronger immune system. During finals and the holidays, no one wants to be sick. Make sure to stay optimistic with whatever comes your way and you can better avoid those winter sick days.

When you are a positive person, people are more likely to be positive around you. Optimism brings other people up, spreading joy and uplifting energy. When you're with a study group cramming for finals, be sure to be that source of positivity and good energy. This will encourage others instead of bringing them down, and everyone should go into finals believing they can do well.

Being positive is a key factor in good self-esteem. When you have a positive attitude toward yourself, the people around you will have a better opinion of you and will treat you with more respect. This will bring up your self-confidence and inspire you to share that confidence with others.

Finally, the most important part of staying positive is it helps you stay happy and motivated. If you go through every day with a smile and the mindset that everything will turn out OK, you're more likely to be happy with your life than someone who thinks otherwise. It isn't always easy to be positive, and I know it can definitely be a struggle to find the bright side of things. But as long as you believe that you can get through something, and learn from every obstacle you overcome, you will be better off for it. During finals season and the holidays when too many people are stressed out and everything starts to pile up, it is especially important to lift up those around you.

So today and every day, be a source of good for someone who needs it. Lend a compliment to a stranger, leave a note of encouragement for a friend, offer up help to a classmate studying alone. Spread positivity, and positive things are sure to come your way.