11 Struggles You Live With When You Live With Roommates
College

Roommates are absolutely inevitable when you're in college and sometimes there are struggles even with the best of them.

58

I had two different roommates my freshman year of college and lived in an apartment with three roommates my sophomore year. If I have learned anything during this time, it is that roommates can be blessings and curses and it all depends on the day.

Here are 11 things you have probably dealt with if you have ever lived with a roommate.

The first month is always the best month

During the first month living with someone, it is a blast because you are not used to each other yet and still on your best behavior. This is such a great time because you know it will probably all go downhill soon, but you can at least enjoy a happy space for a little while!

Dishes are the worst

People are either going to do their dishes or they are not. Simple as that. But when you live in a super small space with a constant dirty dish and half-eaten food smell your safe haven from classes and studying can become your least favorite place in the world.

Compromising is difficult

If you are the roommate that is trying for the compromise or the roommate that does not think anything is wrong compromising is still hard. Just try to remember that college is the worst time of everyone's life and you have to work with the people we live with to make it better.

Not having the same study habits is tough

Studying is a major part of everyone's college experience, but if you study during the day and want to sleep at night and have a roommate that keeps the tv on super loud and is up till 3 a.m. doing homework you are probably not going to be a happy camper the next day. Try to refer back to my third point and find a compromise!

Keeping a friendship with a roommate is difficult 

Staying or becoming friends with someone you sleep five feet away from seems like a nearly impossible challenge, but that is completely okay. As long as you can stay civil with your roommates then you're good! However, you live five feet away from these people try to get to know them! Finding your best friend in a pool of random roommates a college sticks you with will be the best thing to happen to you!

Hair. 

If you are a girl, you shed. Plain as that. Your hair falls out in the shower, while you're brushing it when you breathe it happens! It becomes a problem when people refuse to clean it up! Especially in a community style hall where you share a bathroom with 60 people. Keep in mind to rinse out the shower and get that glob of your hair off the drain because no one likes feeling dirtier leaving the shower than they did getting in.

You learn your flaws

It becomes very obvious on a living standard where you are and you will see pretty clearly what you need to do to be a better person to live with. Now some people do not think they need to fix anything and if you think you're that person stop reading this article and evaluate how you are with your roommates.

You will make sure to interview future roommates

Freshmen and sophomore year you are probably matching with randoms, but in the future, you will for sure meet a roommate first and talk to them a whole lot to make sure you all are actually compatible.

Roommate Contracts do not work 

If you have ever gone to an RA and drafted a roommate contract with them you are fully aware these are not effective. You and your roommate will follow it for a week or two, but then things will probably go back to being awful.

Some people should live alone

Maybe it is time to think about living alone... or suggesting your roommate considers living alone. Some people just cannot handle being civil without getting their way and that is not bad, but that type of personality should live alone.

You can get through all kinds of people... because you have lived with them

Roommates build character and you will probably work with people very similar to all the less than great roomies you have had — if you can survive living with someone you do not like you can survive anyone!