Dealing with Stress As A Millennial

5 Ways To Actually Have A Positive Mental Attitude In A Sea Of Stress

It's a lot easier than it looks.

67
https://www.pexels.com/photo/young-woman-thinking-with-pen-while-working-studying-at-her-desk-6384/

As someone who knows and hates the feelings of stress, worry, and sadness, I'm here to tell you about some simple ways to calm down, take a step back from reality, and refresh your mind. Over the years, I've collected techniques that I know I can always turn to when I'm having a bad day or just mentally cluttered. These routines can reduce any anxious feelings along with depressive spells.

One thing that can change your overall mood is having a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA).

I was first introduced to PMA at a leadership seminar in 2016 (shoutout to HOBY) where PMA consisted of a bunch of upbeat and interactive cheers and chants to keep everyone involved and energetic for the duration of the seminar. While I was honestly tired of the constant cheering and annoyed with losing my voice, I took something away from all the chaos.h

When you put yourself in an energetic and enthusiastic mindset, you feel invincible. You're ready to take on anything life throws at you with confidence and unwavering courage. I'll tell those of you who haven't experienced this feeling that it is life-changing! Here are some things I do every day in order to keep my mental attitude positive:

1. Listen to Music

As the well-known philosopher, Plato once said, "Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything." There's no denying that listening to the right kind of music can most definitely lift anyone's spirits. Put on some music that you can dance along to in your room or that you know every single word to by heart. Not only will it make you feel stress-free, but it'll release all the bad vibes in your system.

There's also a great variety of playlists on Spotify to go with certain moods or activities. Whether you're studying, working out, cleaning your room, or just going for peaceful background noise, Spotify has a playlist for you. With that being said, every month I'll have a new Top Ten playlist on the side menu for anyone looking for new music recommendations. Don't be afraid to try a new genre, you never know if it'll become your new favorite.

2. Exercise

I'm sure some of you are probably rolling your eyes at the thought of having to work out, but any form of physical activity can help clear your mind clutter and make you much more productive. Go for a walk, ride your bike, do some yoga, or even go to the gym if you do that regularly anyway. The sweat and release of energy into something physical will send good chemicals to your brain, helping clear it from stress. For me personally, I take a moment in my day to do some stretching, especially when my back and neck are sore. This helps refresh my mind and feel more productive for the rest of the day.

3. Eat good food

I'm not saying for you to stress eat, by any means. However, if you put good food into your body, such as vegetables, pasta, etc. then you'll feel a lot better and not hungry at least. #TreatYoSelf

4. Meditation

This practice actually took me a while to incorporate into my daily routine. I found that what works best for me is to turn on instrumental music and just lay on my bed with my eyes closed and just decompress from the day's events. I focus on the music, isolate myself from the outside world, and go over every part of my day. I ask myself:

"What were the good moments of today?"

"What were the bad moments?"

"What made each moment good or bad?"

"What do I need to do today and for the rest of the week for school, work, home, etc.?"

5. Sleep

I know it may seem like a bad thing to sleep away your problems, but it helps. It refreshes your body, mind, and spirit, and typically leaves you ready to accomplish all you need to. So take that nap, go to bed early, but don't sleep your life away.

There are plenty of other ways to get rid of stress, but these three definitely work best for me.

Try some different methods and choose which works best for you! Remember, if something doesn't go the way you planned, keep your head up and keep a Positive Mental Attitude.

"This too shall pass."