Each Winnie The Pooh Character Suffers From A Mental Illness, And They Coexist Just Fine

Why? Because they support and care about one another.

641
Wallpapers 13

A mental illness (also referred to as a mental disorder) is a wide range of conditions that affect mood, thinking, and behavior. 20-25% of Americans have a mental illness that should be diagnosed in any given year. Of this 20-25 %, only 40% receive treatment. Some people don't have access to treatment, while others simply can't afford it. Others, it seems, are too afraid of the stigma surrounding mental illnesses to ask for help.

In the Disney cartoon, "Winnie the Pooh," each character has a different mental disorder. Instead of living in a world like ours, where we turn away from those in need, they support one another, and they care about each other. They all live together peacefully in the Hundred Acre Woods.

Winnie the Pooh

Pooh himself suffers from an eating disorder. In the movies, he is constantly shown eating honey, thinking about the next time he can eat honey, or searching for honey. His life revolves around food and the thought of food. However, his friends don't make fun of him for having this condition, and they don't abandon him to live with it alone.

Piglet

Pooh's best friend, Piglet, suffers from an anxiety disorder. He's always very nervous, even over the smallest of things. He worries about big things, too. He is also shown to have a stutter in the movie, and while stuttering isn't a symptom of anxiety, it's used to present his character as more nervous. Pooh is most commonly the one shown to be comforting Piglet.

Tigger

Tigger has Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder or ADHD. He has high energy and can't stay in one place for a long period of time. His character can always be seen bouncing around, knocking over things and other characters. His friends try to do activities and play games with Tigger when he wants to, although they sometimes find it hard to match his energy level.

Eeyore

Eeyore presents with clear signs of depression. He seems very down, he's antisocial and he hardly ever smiles. It doesn't help that in the movie, every time Eeyore re-builds his house made of sticks, someone or something always knocks it down. In addition to this, his tail is always lost and can never seem to be found. His friends in the Hundred Acre Wood are always there trying to cheer him up.

Rabbit

Rabbit has a mental disorder known as OCD, or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. He has excessive thoughts that lead to repetitive behaviors. When he's gardening he wants everything to be a certain way, and when organizing an event he's very particular. His friends are supportive by listening to his direction and doing what he says.

If our society was supportive of those struggling, we might be able to coexist better, with less problems, just like these characters. The next time you see someone struggling or someone in need, remember that it's your job to help them. We need to be there for each other.