Why do we cut politicians slack?

When Did We Start Cutting Politicians So Much Slack?

Politicians get away with so much, and it needs to stop.

115

Politicians are a combination of the most disputed, respected, and hated people in the nation. Not a single one of them is loved by everyone. It's our job as citizens to be tough on our politicians, after all, they're representing us and deciding how we get to live. From mayors and city council members to state senators and the presidential administration.

But lately, it seems that we could care less about some the wrongdoings of our representatives and the scandals that politicians find themselves in far too often in recent years.

I'm not saying we should be going after them with torches and pitchforks for things like overdue library books, and I'm not saying that the majority of them aren't good people with our best interests at heart. I'm well aware that people make genuine mistakes and deserve second chances and opportunities to grow and learn. I was taught to see the good in people whenever possible.

But how many second chances should we allow? After all, these men and women are supposed to be guiding us, their constituents, and we're supposed to trust them to defend us and make decisions with the well-being of our communities in mind. When will enough be enough?

Some of the highest offices in our country are being held by people who have shown us time and time again that they can't be trusted to do the job they were elected to do. We have politicians being publicly and openly racist. Making sexist remarks. Caught up in allegations of sexual assault. Lying time and time again to the people they're supposed to be governing.

Brett Kavanaugh has lied several times, under oath. He's been accused of sexual assault. And yet, he was STILL given a lifetime seat on our country's highest court. A group of people that decide between just and unjust, what's right and what's wrong. His confirmation was a slap in the face and a giant middle finger to every victim of sexual assault. Why, at the first of many red flags, wasn't he immediately removed from consideration?

There are some examples of politicians whose careers have been ruined because of issues of this magnitude, and rightly so. Things like sexual assault are inexcusable. It shouldn't have anything to do with party, seniority, experience, or level of power.

Behavior like this should never be tolerated.

So why have we become so tolerant of behaviors like this coming from the highest offices in our country? Why have we allowed people whose actions go against every right we've fought to have remain in office without so much as a slap on the wrist?

So many things have happened in the course of the past couple of years that we've become more and more indifferent to such despicable behavior. We've come to expect outrageous behavior from our government and we use it as a source of entertainment. We're normalizing dangerous and derogatory behavior, and we shouldn't be.

Some of our current lawmakers should have never been elected in the first place due to extremely questionable words and actions. This isn't about liberals and conservatives or difference of opinions. This is about needing, deserving, leaders who are respectable and professional.

I'm in a constant state of awe thinking about how so many people are unbothered. Change should be happening, we should be demonstrating, marching, screaming from the rooftops, DEMANDING a government full of men and women who deserve our respect and show it to us in return.