​Political And Religious Extremism: The Ultimate Threat To The LGBT Community

How radical American homophobia led up to the tragic Orlando massacre.

62
​Political And Religious Extremism:  The Ultimate Threat To The LGBT Community
npr.org

Following the mass shooting in Orlando, I thought to myself, "what will it take for the general public to genuinely humanize the LGBT community?" It’s routine for individuals with divergent political and religious backgrounds to converge during times of tragedy (and it’s disheartening to know that it takes tragedies such as the Orlando shooting to create social unity), but commonly enough, division and condemnation ensues a few weeks of solidarity among them.

Correspondents have dabbled with the notion that radical religious figures factored the cultivation of gay hatred by constantly deeming homosexuals as immoral debauchees, condoning discrimination and judgment, and persuading a large number of congregations to take a firm stance against the progression of equality for the LGBT community. But what is to be expected from ordinary humans when prominent religious figures preach words of hatred to their assemblies and aim to defame the whole gay population? This resistance culture is responsible for breeding a radical opposition agenda. The promotion of extreme homophobia has escalated prejudice and discrimination, as well as violent attacks, against the gay community.

I stand firm under the notion that religious/political extremism is destructive because it interferes with one’s ability to distinguish the difference between fundamental rights and wrongs and destroys common courtesy and civility toward oppressed groups of people. What results is Christians blaming Muslims for Orlando and heightening Islamophobia in America. While I don’t intend to criticize or guilt Christians for the atrocious hate crime in Orlando, there’s no denying the rocky history between evangelical Christians and the LGBT community. Prior to and during the Civil Rights Era, evangelicals shamelessly expressed their divisive stance against homosexuality and strongly advanced the oppression of gays by influencing American politics and closely working with conservative community leaders. Today, radical American evangelicals undergo the same rhetoric in West Africa, where they continue to disseminate hate-filled propaganda about gays and lesbians to Ugandan religious and political leaders. This drastically influenced the signing of a controversial anti-gay bill into law. In addition, radical anti-gay Islamists pose a threat to the LGBT community just as radical anti-gay evangelists.

I’m making the argument that religious (Christians and Muslims) and political extremism hinder humanity and incite chaos instead of harmony into our lives. Once people reach a point of religious or political extremism, anyone who goes against their religious/political principles will be annihilated either physically or systematically. Therefore, it should be our ongoing mission to promote tolerance and vocalize the importance of social equality and civility. The LGBT community must, now more than ever, remain strong and proud and let fear give way to courage and bravery. We must continue to show the world that love conquers all, that we contribute to society just as much as heterosexual men and women, and that we are not foul or immoral, but beautifully human. Rest in sweet peace to the victims of the Orlando shooting. We mourn with the city. We mourn with the victims’ family members and friends. We will never be broken. Instead, stronger we will grow.