What It's Like Having A Polar Opposite Sister

We're only three years apart, but it feels like three generations.

53
Runtrimom

National Sister's Day was this passed Sunday, and in honor of it I'm going to give a little insight on the relationship I have with my own sister. I've always heard about the middle child being the odd ball of the family. But what if there's only two children? Can one of them be classified as a technical "middle child" because they don't quite fit the family? The answer is yes.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the "middle" child because I like to keep to myself with my nose in a book while my younger sister is being loud and obnoxious with our parents. Other times it seems like she's the middle child because of her personality and attitude. We seem to alternate the role of being the middle child, but that doesn't change the fact that we're polar opposites.

My sister and I clash often. I like being alone and quiet, and she'll barge in hollering and wanting to be near me. Kind of annoying. Actually it's really annoying. Many times I'll be just waking up for work and she'll run at me all excited because I'm finally awake. Her level of energy is literally too much for me to handle that "early", and I usually run away, but she catches me because I'm still in a sleep daze. It's not fun.

I skipped the whole makeup phase in junior high and high school. She dove right into it, but it was really funny watching her go through those regrettable makeup choices like chunky mascara. I tried to warn her how awful it looked but she swore it looked great (she looks back now and regrets not listening to me). But it was also infuriating waiting on her to get ready when I finally got my driver's license. In addition to getting into makeup, my sister also liked to get her nails done. She would (and still does) get those nails that come out half a centimeter passed her fingertips, which I still think are totally cringe-y and gross.

Even our wardrobes clashed. My sister would try to look nice for school, meanwhile I would be wearing basketball shorts and a hoodie with my hair tied back. I didn't care too much for my public image, still don't really care. Other people's opinions don't bother me, but my sister cared. She would even get dressed up just to go to the movies, despite the fact that we would be in the dark for a few hours and no one would see her outfit anyway.

Overall, having a sister on the opposite side of the spectrum from me is frustrating. She's annoying and doesn't listen to me, but I guess it's okay. Despite our differences, I still love my sister. Happy (now late) National Sister's Day!