Pokemon: My Most Beloved Franchise Of All Time

Part 1: The Early Days

4
Wallpaperhi

Ever since I was very young, Pokemon has always been a huge part of my life. From the games to the anime, and also the card gamePokemon was always a passion of mine. There is something special about the franchise that keeps people coming back for more. The thing that I love most about Pokemon is the collecting aspect of it. The Pokemon video games and trading card games do this very well. In the video games, anybody can collect the Pokemon in the game by going on an adventure and playing through the game. And of course in the card games, people can collect Pokemon cards and trade them with others to expand or diversify their collection. Pokemon has always been a special franchise for me and has stuck with me ever since I was five and a half years of age. This video sums up why Pokemon resonated with me so well throughout my childhood.

In 1998, when I was not yet six years old, Pokemon Red and Blue versions were released in North America for the original Gameboy. In 1999, the special Pikachu edition Pokemon Yellow version was released in North America. These game took place in the Kanto region. At the time everyone was fascinated by the Pokemon franchise and even mainstream media talked about it. It became a global phenomenon. Every kid on the block was playing Pokemon Red and Blue. Pokemon was so popular because it was it was marketed in such a unique way among different forms of entertainment – the games, the anime, the card games, and the manga. The anime was very popular in North America, especially among ‘90s kids, although the games came first. However, it was the tie-in between the anime and the games that solidified Pokemon as the juggernaut in sales back then and even still to this day. After school, I would watch Pokemon on Kid's WB or Cartoon Network. Then I would play my cousin's Pokemon Blue and Yellow version and be completely immersed in the game and collecting Pokemon. At the time there were 151 available Pokemon. Another thing that the Pokemon video game franchise did so well was allow the superb multiplayer feature as well as elaborate usage of the communication between two Gameboy systems via the Gameboy link cable. This brought forth another dimension to the game by giving trainers the opportunity to battle and trade Pokemon. Pokemon players can socialize and bond over this new dimension within the game. Every kid on the block can now challenge and battle each other. This was my very first early avenue to competitive gaming. Although I wasn't extremely competitive, this sowed the seed that would inspire the spirit of competition within me later on. The Pokemon popularity in the late '90s and early 2000s was an initiating event that would soon bring me on my Pokemon journey and allow me to become a Pokemon fan for life.

Two years later, Pokemon Gold and Silver were released in North America for the Gameboy color. The new Pokemon were so cool!! Pokemon Gold, Silver, and later on Crystal as well would all be easily my favorite in the series. In Pokemon Gold and Silver, you can now explore two regions, Johto in the main game and Kanto in the post-game. Also, the biggest feature would be the new Pokemon that were introduced. When these games came out there were now 251 available Pokemon total which included the original 151. I really liked the Johto generation of Pokemon because it took Pokemon to a whole new level. And since the games were for a more powerful game system, the colors of the game were more vibrant as well as the sound quality, which resounded the superior technical capabilities of the Gameboy Color in comparison to the original Gameboy. The music of Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal was also phenomenal and also pushed the limits of the Gameboy Color sounds. To this day I would definitively say that the Johto games contain my favorite music within the Pokemon franchise. The anime and the card games released the Johto region Pokemon cards as well. The Johto games were and still are masterpieces that I enjoy to this day and I will always enjoy these games to the fullest.

My childhood was abundant with Pokemon-fever. Pokemania was rampant and it was AMAZING!!! Everyone and their mother couldn't get away from the Pokemon sensation! I loved being able to chat with my friends on the school playground about Pokemon as well as watch the anime after school with my cousin. But most of all I enjoyed playing the video games because it always set me on an adventure to become a champion as well as a Pokemon Master and inspiring me to collect all the Pokemon. This drive for adventure and becoming a champion is something that I would carry with me to adulthood and cherish always.

Stay tuned for Part 2, as I delve into my life experience and adventure for the next series of Pokemon games during my very late childhood (pre-teen) and early adolescence. Thanks and enjoy my this series on my Pokemon story!