Pokémon Go Isn't Dangerous--People Are

Pokémon Go Isn't Dangerous--People Are

There's nothing dangerous about having fun.

102
Pokémon Go Isn't Dangerous--People Are
Nintendo

In a world of developing technology and fast production, our generation and others before us have started to see a rise in the expansion of reality based tech. The new opportunities to mix fiction with fact have become something that everyone wants to be apart of. With Pokémon’s twentieth anniversary this year, it’s no surprise that Nintendo and the Pokémon Company have partnered with Niantic to create one of the biggest new mobile apps around.

An entire generation of millennials have been raised with (or at least exposed to) Pokémon in their lives. It’s no surprise that bringing a world of fiction into the real world has created a near mass hysteria for those who enjoy the series. Even people who know nothing about Pokémon have taken to the craze, simply to see what all of the hype is about. The welcoming atmosphere of the game, and the fact that it requires no previous knowledge of the games to play, draws in almost everyone.

However, as of late, it seems that (as usual) older generations have taken to bashing the game, much like they do with everything that draws people to their phones. Despite the fact that the game actually encourages activity and movement, due to the mechanics that force players to travel to find new Pokémon, baby boomers seem to think that we simply have our noses in our phones like always.

More than this though, individuals who don’t support the game have now started pointing fingers at the fact that the game seems to be “inherently dangerous” due to the nature of it, and the above statements of needing to keep your eyes on your phone the entire time you’re playing.

This isn’t true. Trust me. I’ve been playing Pokémon since I was nine years old, and I probably walked into more people and poles playing on a Nintendo DS than I have playing on my iPhone.

Why?

Because Pokémon Go doesn’t actually require all of your attention, much like the system based games do. The developers took major foresight in preparing and creating this app, taking in all the potential risks to avoid that label of being inherently dangerous. If you haven’t downloaded the app, or never seen anyone play it, then you likely wouldn’t know about this, or have been exposed to it. And that’s where our issue lies. People are quick to judge, due to the fear mongering of standard media.

In less than two weeks since the US release date, the news has been solely filled with only the bad affects of the game. Headlines about a girl getting hit by a car, or kids getting mugged, is all that anyone has seen. People are exposed to only negative media and information about the game, and form harsh opinions, instead of judging for themselves through actual play of the game.

Pokémon Go’s start up has two different screens. The first is a white background, with the logos for the developing team of Niantic and the owners; the Pokémon Company. The next screen in a load screen, that displays for at least five seconds before launching the game. Depending on server speeds, that screen can last longer, and always displays for a longer period if it’s the first time the game has opened. The screen displays a faceless trainer, crossing a bridge with a large, red exclamation point above them, and a Gyarados in the foreground. Under this, is a text box and a load bar. The text box reads simply: “Remember to be alert at all times. Stay aware of your surroundings.”

Check mate. Nintendo has now fully removed themselves of any responsibility regarding injuries while playing the game. The game also has a featured titled “battery saver”, which allows players to keep their phones at their sides while they walk, the screen dimming to only display the logo. This feature still functions, however, with a vibration, alerting players to when there is a Pokémon around, so they can stop, look to their phones, and then move on. The game literally does not require you to look at your phone while you’re moving at all.

In the end, the injuries sustained while playing Pokémon Go are not caused by the game. They are not the responsibility of Nintendo, Niantic, or the Pokémon Company. No one can be held responsible for the actions of an individual who simply did not heed the warnings of the game, and got themselves hurt in the process. The playing of Pokémon Go is not dangerous. There is no “inherent” danger caused by picking up your phone and walking around outside.

Pokémon Go has caused people to go outside, to walk around, to exercise. Individuals have reported that the game has helped them handle anxiety and depression, forcing them to leave their homes to enjoy a game they’ve looked forward to for so long. People are enjoying themselves, and having fun. Those who get injured should not ruin the fun for everyone else.

Pokémon Go isn’t dangerous, it’s the people who aren’t smart enough to pay attention who are.