No, Pokemon GO! Isn't A Bad Thing

No, Pokemon GO! Isn't A Bad Thing

The Positive Impacts Pokemon GO! Has Had on Society

33
No, Pokemon GO! Isn't A Bad Thing
Michael Goodeaux

Amid hundreds of online petitions to shut it down, news stories of deaths, and people finding bodies, Pokemon GO has gotten a lot of bad rep. However, Pokemon isn't as bad as you think it is. Yes, a few select people have negative stories to tell that are linked to Pokemon GO, but it's important to sort out the dramatized, the false, and the idiots. It's also important to bring forward the overwhelming amount of positive effects that Pokemon GO has had on the community.

I'm not one to talk about obesity in the United States. Yes, it's a problem, but I think our nation is facing far worse problems than people's weight. Pokemon GO gets players up and out of the house. With steps towards hatching eggs only counting if you're going under 35 mph, more players are getting up, going for a run, or perhaps a bike ride, down at the local park.

Aside from physical benefits, Pokemon GO has had a significant economic impact on our country that has so far proven to be positive. More people are getting up, leaving the house, going on Pokemon hunts. This means a lot more gasoline will be consumed, and so more money is spent on that industry. Additionally, with most Pokestops being restaurants, at least in my hometown, more people are going to them and ordering food and drinks. Some of these are small, family run businesses who might've been close to closing before. Aside from gas and restaurants, entrepreneurs are coming up with ways to capitalize on the Pokemon GO craze, including creating an Uber-like service that will drive you around to Pokestops, and merchandise based off of team colors.

An argument has been put forward that people have died while playing the game. Whether it be crossing the road or driving, people know full and well that those are not the best times to play the game. The loading screen even reminds you to stay alert at all times and to be aware of your surroundings. People have disregarded this tip and have ended up losing their life. Pokemon GO didn't "make" them look at their phone, as one mother has claimed. They, with all the free will that they had, decided for themselves to take out their phones in a time they knew wasn't right to play, and Niantic nor Nintendo are responsible for the deaths and injuries caused by a few idiotic people who knew better than to walk or drive distracted.

Aside from a few people ignoring the rules, many players have reported a positive improvement in their health. Many who suffer from depression and anxiety haven't been able to leave the house often because of their condition. Pokemon GO has given them a reason to get up and out. It's given them hope in a dark time.

Animal shelters seem to be benefiting from this game, too. One shelter in Indiana promoted a special that would help people get their steps in for their eggs. For $5 an hour rental fee, people could walk a shelter dog and get their steps in. The shelter reports of many phone calls from walkers who fell in love with the dog they were walking and decided to adopt. So many players wanted in on this deal, there was a wait list, and the shelter actually had to get dogs from another shelter in order to keep up with the demand of people wanting to walk and adopt their dogs.

These stories seem to be overlooked by the public. All you see on the news and your Facebook newsfeed is stories about people getting arrested, stabbed, murdered, mugged, injured, or killed while playing Pokemon GO. While these do happen, it's time we stop being a pessimist society and take a look at the benefits for once. Pokemon GO has had a positive impact on all aspects of society, even the ones we wouldn't expect. I highly doubt that the developers at Niantic and the creative minds at Nintendo could even speculate that their game would cause all of this good in the world. In a dark year such as this one has been, it's good to see that there's a bright light shining. One light that's going to keep shining for years to come.