Poetry On Odyssey: Tide To Sea

Tide To Sea: A Poem

The surface oscillates as sunlight shimmers, shimmers, shimmers.

72
Tide To Sea: A Poem
Zijun Xu

In this poem, I will take you on a journey beneath the waters of the open ocean to the windy skies above the water to shore's edge. You will feel the rhythm of the sea, the melody of the currents, and the harmony of life on the shores. If you feel tied to the sea, reminiscing its presence, then let "Tide to Sea" pull you into that oasis. (After the poem, I included the song that I wrote, which is adapted from the poem.)

The surface oscillates as sunlight shimmers, shimmers, shimmers

Like a kaleidoscope, like a disco ball, streaming light back and forth, back and forth

Like a circle swirling on, on, on

Waves rise, break, fall

Rise, break, fall

Pounding the shoreline with each crash and each break

Making its imprint on each sediment it touches

Leaving life to each creature that inhabits its terrain

As ripples ride away, ride away

There's nowhere too near and nowhere too far from this oasis

Look out into a clean-cut horizon

The sun rises and falls over the sea

It looks so ethereal, yet it still seems so distant

Just ride like the, churn like the, rise like the tide to the sea

Jellyfish drift beneath the surface

Gulls flutter and beat their wings with bliss as they scour the sky for food

Crabs crawl across the shoreline

From winter days to summer nights

From daybreak to sunset

From high tide to low tide

Rise, break, fall

Rise, break, fall

Collide with the shore

Leaving the shoreline with a mark

Churning life into the bountiful yet rugged terrain

Staring into a seemingly endless horizon

An oasis beyond civilization with a subsurface mostly unexplored

Song version:

(Verse 1)

The Surface oscillates

Sunlight shimmers, shimmers, shimmers

Like a circle swirling on, on, on

(Chorus)

Rise, break, fall

Rise, break, fall

Collide with the shore

Ships sail across the horizon

Moving past, cutting through

Glistening, shimmering over the water's edge

(Verse 2)

As ripples ride away, ride away

Nowhere too near, nowhere too far

Look at a clean-cut horizon

I watch the sunlight over the seas

It looks so heavenly

(Verse 3)

Just ride like the, churn like the, rise like the tides to the sea

From winter days to summer nights

From daybreak to sunset

From high tide to low tide

As the ends seem so near

Drifting and fluttering and beating like bliss