The Top 5 Podcasts You Need To Hear

The Top 5 Podcasts You Need To Hear

And why they'll change your life.

17
The Top 5 Podcasts You Need To Hear
Rackspace

A long car ride, waiting at a bus station, going for a walk, exercising. Falling asleep. You might think to listen to music or scroll through Instagram during these social lapses-- that is, if you want to stay stuck in the past. People are listening to podcasts now. And it’s time you jump on the bandwagon.

A podcast is like an online radio show that you can subscribe and listen to weekly. It could be in the form of a talk show, a fictional story, or just someone speaking into a microphone-- and that’s the beauty of podcasts. There is something for absolutely everyone, guaranteed. Be your interest comedy, mystery, politics, music-- you can easily find a podcast that draws you in and keeps you listening.

And why would I want to listen to other people talk for 45 minutes, you may be asking? That’s because podcasts make you smarter. Your brain is working so much harder to process the details of what you’re listening to, rather than shutting your brain off as you mindlessly scroll or zone out. Your brain stays active without exerting too much energy to where you become aware of it. Not only that, but most (the best) podcasts out there are opinionated and current event-related. It is so important to stay in the know and be aware of what’s going on in the world-- as well as to be aware of others’ points of view. Podcasts can inform you in an entertaining, light hearted way.

Here are 5 different podcasts, one for absolutely any mood or any different interest, so you can make this summer the summer of podcasts.

If you like horror... try Alice Isn't Dead

From the same creators as the wildly viral Welcome to Night Vale, Alice Isn’t Dead is an eerie, suspenseful story of a woman searching for her “dead” wife. This search takes her down a course of mystery and lies, using whatever clues her wife left behind. This is the podcast for you if you love creepy stories and heart-racing suspense, but definitely not one you should listen to alone in the dark.

If you like comedy… try The Baby-Sitters Club Club.

This podcast is ridiculous. It follows two grown men as they go into deep literary analyses of the tween/pre-teen chapter books, The Baby-Sitters Club. It is surprisingly hilarious. Jack Shepherd and Tanner Greenring, your podcast hosts, will have you actually laughing out loud with their dry humor and philosophical take on a group of teenage babysitters.

If you like musical theatre… try Hamilton The Podcast

This podcast is as simple as it sounds-- hosts Robbie Hurlocker and Vinton Bayne discuss the celebrated, award-winning musical Hamilton. They dig deep into each song from the show, giving historical significance and interesting insight. This podcast is absolutely imperative if you like Hamilton or any theatre for that matter. It will take your obsession to a whole new level.

If you’re just weird… try The Orbiting Human Circus (of the Air)

This podcast is a wacky adventure, following a live radio variety show broadcast atop the Eiffel Tower, and the lonely janitor who uncovers the secrets and mystery that lies behind it all. You will meet bizarre characters and hear otherworldly stories. You may be struggling to make sense of it all, but that’s the beauty of it.

If you need inspiration… try TED Radio Hour

This is the podcast for you if you love TED talks and stories of inspiration and ground-breaking new ideas. Each episode of this podcast focuses on a different theme commonly discussed on the famous TED stage-- such as the source of happiness, crowd-sourcing innovation, power shifts, or inexplicable connections.