Please Stop Trying To Make Me Feel Bad For Not Being A Vegan

Trust me, there's a lot of other things I already feel bad about.

1589
Matt Groening

Veganism is all the rage. Everywhere you look, alternatives to meat and animal-products can be found. Instagram is filled with colorful pictures of plant-based dishes that feature an assortment of vegetables that I have never heard of. Tons of celebrities have taken on the cause, including stars such as Ellen Degeneres, Ariana Grande, and Peter Dinklage.

Suffice to say, veganism is quite trendy these days.

Personally, I am not a vegan. Maybe one day I'll become one, but I am not currently at a point in my life where I am able to do that. I am not ignorant to the practices of the meat and dairy industries and I am aware of the impact these industries have on the environment. Yes, I feel an occasional pang of guilt when I eat meat, but I still am not a vegan.

And I have nothing against people who choose to be vegan. More power to them. If that's a situation that you can manage and enjoy, go for it. I don't deny the alleged benefits of veganism, and I can see how being a vegan can make you feel like you might be doing something to make the world a little bit better. Just because something isn't for me doesn't mean I'll fault someone else for partaking in it. Because, you know, there's more to people than the things they eat.

My only request is that you don't make me feel bad for not being a vegan (because I already have enough reasons to feel bad about myself).

This isn't directed towards individuals who choose veganism, incorporate it into their lives and move on about their business. This isn't for people who are able to make a lifestyle choice without shaming every person that doesn't agree with them. This isn't for people who look down their nose at other people because of what they eat. This is for the people that believe that they are morally better than me because they are vegan.

Because you're not.

Unless, of course, you don't shop at Forever 21 or H&M or Zara.

Unless you don't watch the Super Bowl.

Unless you don't drink almond milk.

Unless you don't own any plastic.

Unless you don't partake in many of the basic things that humans do everyday, you aren't morally superior to non-vegan me.

Because fast-fashion companies like F21 and Zara rely on people that are treated like slaves to make their clothes (and buying these clothes obviously means that you support slavery). And the Super Bowl attracts thousands of traffickers that will force young women into prostitution to entertain the numerous amount of people that come to the event. And we can't forget that almonds are primarily grown in California, which means that the millions of bees required to pollinate almond trees will die of insecticides. Then there's good ole' plastic, which kills hundreds of thousands of marine animals every year (and that's not even acknowledging the catastrophe it causes on land).

My point is that, we as humans, do a lot of things we shouldn't.

There are many issues that need to be fixed. I agree that the treatment of animals when manufacturing products for humans is something that should be scrutinized and improved. However, it's not necessarily the most important thing in the world. With so many different issues pressing in on us from different directions, is it really so shocking that some people don't have the time or resources to maintain the lifestyle that you do? Because I've yet to meet the person that has been able to completely absolve themselves of any damage to the planet or mankind.

So please, the next time you choose to hold someone to your own moral code, realize that they are under no obligation to value what you value. You can educate them, and you can persuade them, but demonizing them is never a good idea. We're all human, and most of us are just trying to do our best. Don't shame someone because their best doesn't look like your best. Not only does it damage your cause, but it makes you look morally inferior when it comes to how you treat other people.

Keep doing whatever gives you peace and let other people do what gives them peace (even if it is eating a giant cheeseburger or a kale smoothie).