5 Things I Learned From Playing Sports In My Youth

Playing a sport for over ten years changed my life. The lessons I learned from playing alongside my teammates shaped me into the woman I am today.

165

Ever since I was six years old, I have played one or two sports. I started off playing softball and soccer, which led me to ultimately dedicate myself to playing competitive travel softball until I was eighteen. Looking back, I cherish those memories I made while playing and when they say: "There's no feeling like being on the field." Boy, were they right.

1. Dedication.

This is something that is learned pretty quickly playing a sport. Whether it's through the idea of dedicating yourself to your team, getting that ball to first, or crossing that finish line. When you join a sports team, you are committing yourself to your teammates, coaches, and all that comes with being a member of that team. Later in life, you will need to know what that level of dedication is like when it comes time to pick your major, graduate college, and one day, to get your career going. The level of commitment that comes with playing a competitive sport was the first taste I got of what true dedication feels like.

2. Teamwork. 

"There's no 'I' in team," is something we hear constantly growing up, even if you never played a sport. This just proves how important that lesson is in life. Your teammates are the only people you can count on when you're on the field and they are the only ones who can help you get the win that every player strives for. Our coaches teach us this lesson in every practice and at every game because if we aren't going to work together, we might as well not even show up. Sports force you to communicate with your team in order to achieve the common goal, winning. Because of this lesson, I find it typically easy for me to be outgoing and communicate well with others.

3. Success. 

There's just something about that feeling when you hit the ball, score the winning run, or walk off with a trophy in your hands that is just absolutely incredible. When you work so hard to accomplish something and it finally happens, it is the best feeling. It'll radiate through you and make you feel like all the practice and conditioning was worth it. That is a feeling that I strive to feel every day and what drives me to continue to work hard in everything that I do.

4. Failure. 

While success comes with playing a sport, unfortunately so does failure. You won't always make the play, catch the ball, or win the game. Being a competitive athlete, that's a hard pill to swallow. But, that taught me how to deal with failure, and bounce back from it. We can choose to learn from all of our failures or mistakes or continue on the path that we are on. And I have learned that the best way to cope with failure is to evaluate where I went wrong and put more work in with hopes to be successful next time. That is all you can do!

5. Family. 

I saved this one for last because it means the most to me. My teammates weren't just people I played with, they were my family. The appreciation and trust that you put into the friendships that form with your teammates are different than with anyone else in your life. The teams that are most successful are the ones who have the most chemistry with each other, they work together the best. When you see winning teams together, you can see the chemistry between the players. You spend so much of your time with your teammates and coaches (sometimes even more than with your family) that they become the most active people in your life. They become your best friends and biggest supporters on and off the field. That is a lesson that I will always carry with me.