America, You Need To Take A Step Back From The War On Plastic Straws
Education

The war on plastic straws is getting out of hand and way too quickly. Please take a step back America.

371
https://pixabay.com/en/straws-plastic-straws-drink-3193715/

So we all know about this controversy over plastic straws.

For those that don't know, an environmental group called Lonely Whale is what kick-started the war over plastic straw last year. Since then it has grown into an ever increasing war where consumers and organizations are battling over the necessity and environmental concerns surrounding them. I'm a consumer who cares for the environment, but I believe that this is a much more complex situation than simply getting rid of plastic straws.

I understand the negative impacts plastic has on our environment and I do want to see us taking better care of our environment. However, taking away plastic straws is only going to be a small scale effort.

Yes, plastic straws make up a portion of pollution, however, Starbucks new straw-less lids? They might end up using more plastic than their current ones which minimizes the marginal difference of plastic we think we are saving from the oceans. There is even new articles online stating how fish nets is really one of the biggest contributors to ocean waste. Why not have a war against that?

Consumers are so eager to support going straw-less that they are only seeing one positive effect rather than the all of the effects, both positive and negative.

Another issue that has been discussed is that some individuals with disabilities rely on straws. I think this is another great factor we need to examine. Straws give a sense of independence to those who wouldn't be able to hold/have a drink without them.

Some organizations are banning straws with the exception of those that have proof of a medical reason. I think that is highly unfair and segregated those who have disabilities. How would you feel if the only way you could have a drink on your own (without assistance) was with a straw, but you needed medical "proof" of having a disability?

I just think this straw war has gotten out of hand and too quickly. I mean there are places that are banning straws and making it a misdemeanor to use a plastic straw. Are we serious, folks? We are going to fine someone for using a plastic straw, yet we don't fine enough people for texting and driving?

This straw war needs to simmer down and organizations and consumers as a whole need to get on a similar page. Before jumping the gun on banning straws, organizations should brainstorm different ways to limit plastic straw use while bringing awareness to the effects a removal of straws could do.

For example, in Lancaster PA the cafe Rachel's doesn't not hand out straws unless a consumer requests. And even if a consumer asks for a straw, they hand out metal straws. Now Rachel's does have some plastic straws as they are slightly bigger than the metal ones, but they hand those out if someone is drinking a thicker drink such as a smoothie. They realize that if a consumer doesn't need a straw, great.

But if they do need a straw then they should use a metal one because it is re-usable. And if a consumer needs a bigger straw then they give a plastic one because metal straws currently only come in a smaller size. Their efforts is reducing plastic straws has already made a great impact for their community and customers, however, they understand that straws can't be completely removed from their service. This is the type of efforts we need to see from all organizations.

The war on plastic straws can be successful, but slow down America. We really need to think before we act.