Planning A Vacation With Your Significant Other

Traveling doesn't have to make or break your relationship!

66
Brittney

One thing people always about relationships is how planning a vacation together can make or break a relationship. I've heard horror stories of couples not able to handle the stress. So, naturally, I knew I had to see if my boyfriend and I were up to the challenge.

We just came back from a week in Vegas (definitely a big trip), and we had a blast! It was probably one of the best vacations I've ever had. So, since we lasted through the storm of planning a vacation together, I thought I'd share what worked (and didn't) for us.

Keep in mind, this is the first time either of us has ever planned and payed for a vacation. This is the first time we have ever traveled on a plan together. It's also the first time I have ever flown to the West Coast!

The biggest struggle for most people is money. This was definitely the case for us. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to have been given a wonderful graduation gift that helped with paying for the vacation. We also found a really great deal! But, we still had to worry about saving for spending money and food.

Saving is tough, especially when money is tight. But, we must do it. I'm not sure what my boyfriend's strategy was for saving. Mine was simply putting away $50 every paycheck. I make barely more than minimum wage, so this was challenging. However, we constantly reminded each other why we were doing it and motivated each other to save. I wouldn't say we are people who pry into each others money. However, if one of us was making a crazy purchase, the other might remind the other that we need to be saving for Vegas! So, being on the same page really helped.

Communication really is key when it comes to anything relationship related. We both had to really set our expectations for each other. For example, Pokemon Go. The app that everyone is obsessed with (including me in brief bursts) just had to come out weeks before our vacation. So, we had to set limits about that beforehand. We are not going to be glued to our phones the entire trip looking for Pokemon. For me, the whole point of the trip was to spend quality time with each other. My boyfriend understood that and thankfully, we kept our Pokemon hunting to a minimum.

Lastly, my biggest tip for successfully planning a vacation with your significant other is to enjoy the experience with them! There were so many times where I just stopped to take it all in. I'm across the country with the man I love and having so much fun. We told each other countless times how happy we were to just be together out here. That alone made the vacation as great as it was!

Vacations don't have to ruin your relationship or cause big riffs. Just communicate with each other and most importantly, have fun. In the long run, your relationship will be stronger than ever!