Planet 50-50: A Critical Moment for Gender Equality

What the United Nations is doing to level the playing field.

21
i.ytimg.com

How do you envision the world being ten years from now? Fifteen years? Some may say advancements in technology or the advent of new jobs. The UN would provide a different answer: a world with complete gender equality.

Recently, the United Nations launched a new project, Planet 50-50. "Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality" is a new program that aims to achieve total equality between the sexes by the year 2030. Planet 50-50 aims to install governmental programs that break down the barriers women continue to face on a daily basis, such as the wage gap, inequality within the educational system, and violence. It urges governments nationwide to help women gain an equal playing field with men in all aspects of life. The program is part of the UN's 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, an agenda that cannot be realized without the simultaneous realization of gender equality.

The UN states that "now is a critical moment in the struggle for gender equality." Using 2030 as the "expiration date" for gender equality gives co-movements unprecedented momentum, pushing individuals as well as governments to start making a change. Global leaders worldwide have pledged to achieve a planet 50-50 by 2030, a pledge that is not taken lightly. The UN is also placing an emphasis on the impact that every individual can have in the fight for gender equality, urging people to "step it up" and raise awareness about the issues women face.

The UN lists twelve areas of concern in the fight for gender equality, many of which were addressed by the speakers at last week's event. These range from violence and abuse against women, to women in decision making, to the portrayal of women in the media. All of these issues and more are unavoidable parts of society that the UN, with the help of the world and its leaders, aims to eradicate by 2030. While many may be able to envision flying cars within the next fifteen years, it seems to be harder to envision total gender equality all around the world. The Step It Up program is working to accomplish this seemingly large feat against their own ticking clock.

On May 17, the UN held a major conference in New York City for the Planet 50-50 program. Public advocates along with singers, athletes, and authors gathered to discuss the most pressing issues that are holding women back in current times. Speakers included Abby Wambach, Olympic gold medalist and a member of a World Cup champion team, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy,a journalist and documentarian, and Jewel, a singer who has faced domestic abuse. All of these powerful women have exerted an influence over society and popular culture, and the diversity in their fields further shows gender inequality as a pervasive concern. This event was one in a sequence of many anticipated conferences which aim to highlight the barriers to women in the world, how to get rid of them, and ultimately how to make our planet a completely equal place to live, regardless of gender.

To learn more about Planet 50-50 and the recent conference, you can visit:

http://www.unwomen.org/en/get-involved/step-it-up

http://www.unwomen.org/en/news/stories/2016/5/jewe...