Pike Lends a Helping Hand With The Miracle League of San Diego

Bases Loaded, the score is tied; what a nail biter the game is… HOME RUN! The Miracle League of San Diego takes a victory lap for its incredible win! For those of you who are not familiar with Miracle League of San Diego, this magical place provides children with special needs the opportunity to play baseball in an organized league. There are quite a few locations to play baseball at, and there are two running seasons throughout the year – Spring and Fall. Both seasons accommodate kids who are age 5 and older, and once the season starts, they get matched with a buddy based on their own unique need. Each game lasts about an hour, and goes for two innings and every single player gets a chance to bat. At the end of the game, the score is sure to be tied, so that everyone has a fair chance of winning a game. What they do here at the Miracle League is something quite extraordinary.

Last Saturday, the brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha had the amazing opportunity to go and help out with all of these special kids for the day. They were actually the first fraternity to be able to sponsor a Miracle League team and what an honor it was to do so. Miracle league is able to be help out over 200,000 children in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico, and the gentlemen of Pike we so lucky to be able to help out and touch the lives of those kids. They had 72 brothers show up in full force to meet all of the parents and their kids on opening day, and cheer them on as they played their first and second games of the season. There were about 10-12 kids per team , and you could just see the happiness and cheerfulness behind each child's smile as Pike cheered them on during the games.

Everywhere you looked in the park, you could see the men of Pike hard at work from helping at the concession stands to fetching balls on the field, and passing out water and snacks to the parents and children. The team that Pike gets the opportunity to sponsor is called the Rays, and they will play almost every Saturday from now, until May. This was Pike's first year participating with Miracle League, and they are hoping to make it into an annual event.

Pike decided to get involved with this organization when they heard about how many people Miracle League helps out, and they absolutely fell in love with the concept of the organization, and they immediately wanted to help in any way they possibly could. The person who runs Miracle league is actually a former Kappa Delta that attended SDSU, so she was very enthused and excited when she heard that she would be working alongside her fellow Greeks, and that the Greek system actually does give back to the community whenever they can.

“It was a warming and wonderful experience. Seeing all of my brothers show their support and spending their time helping those less fortunate than them reminds me why I joined a fraternity, and it makes me proud to be in one" stated founding father and proud member of Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity – Eden Cooper

Everyone that went and helped out that day came out a changed person from when they walked onto the field, to when they walked off the field. If you want to come out and show your support and donate you time and efforts to making a difference in these kids' lives, you can come out to 1628 Lomas Santa Fe Drive, in Del Mar, CA. You never really know how much you can touch the lives of another person, especially the life of a child.