I’m Picky And It’s Hard For Me To Eat Healthy

I am 20 years old, a couple of months shy of my 21st birthday. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm the pickiest eater that you will ever meet. Yes, it is very embarrassing at times, as I'm well aware of my adulthood status. Honestly, the kid's meal even looks safe and pretty appealing at restaurants at times.

The truth is that I've always been a very picky eater. It's one of my biggest insecurities actually. No matter how hard I try to try new foods, I can never seem to like them. I would say that at this point, I am taking the smallest baby steps towards new fruits and vegetable. I have been somewhat successful, I say, as I add some spinach, garlic, and tomato to my egg white omelet.

If you would have asked me 5 years ago to eat a strawberry, I would have laughed in your face. Seriously, I am the pickiest eater you've probably ever come across. Although, I am trying my best to introduce healthy alternatives in my food choices to fit my lifestyle.

You hear it all of your life how important it is to eat healthily and to take care of your body. Growing up, I always tossed that thought to the side thinking that I would always be happy and healthy. Of course, now that I'm older, I think about the harm that I am doing to my body by not giving it the vitamins and nutrients that it needs because I don't eat fruits or vegetables.

I'm the girl that Googles “easy, healthy recipes for picky eaters" and still doesn't like anything that comes up from that search. I'm still in the process of trying to find some that meet my likings. Believe me, I've gotten a lot better in trying to find some healthy foods for the sake of my wellbeing. I could not be more proud of myself, because I look back, and know that I have come a long way.

The stares, the giggles, and the comments that I would get from the way that I eat have bothered me far too long, as I'm trying (and struggling) to eat the healthiest that I can. Being in college is another challenge that I have with this too. The limited options that are around me don't help and meal prep is definitely out of the question. Truth is, time and excuses eat up the chances that I have.

I tell myself that it's a new year and that means that it's even more of a reason to eat healthily and to take good care of myself so that I can be around for a good, long time. I do believe that my body is a temple and it definitely deserves the love and care that it needs to be happy and healthy.