Ways to Inspire Your Kids to Be More Physically Active

Kids today lead a life that is very different from the kids of scarcely a generation before. Whereupon the latter used to spend their time outdoors playing hide and seek and other games, kids today spend more of their waking hours on screen than off it.

24

Apart from the damage to their eyes, the sedentary lifestyle is also very harmful to their health, both now as well as when they grow up. This holds particularly true if they continue their habits when they become adults. However, you can always inspire them to become physically active so that they move around more and expend more energy.

This will help them to sleep better, not to mention that they would be less susceptible to creeping obesity. Let us see how you can inspire them to be more physically active:

Your focus should be on having fun

Kids simply love to have fun. If they are doing something they enjoy a lot, it is very likely that they will continue to keep exercising if it's a fun enough activity. How about turning on the music and having a party where everyone dances and no one is allowed to be a wallflower. You can also go for an extended walking tour at the local zoo or get them interested in miniature golf.

Make the activity more social

'The more the merrier' goes that old saying. You can ask your kids' friends to come and enjoy the healthy festivities. After all, we adults are also more liable to stick to our exercise regimes once we are with our friends. Much the same goes for kids as well. There is no fun in going about it on your own and you should not expect your children to do the same.

Competition is a really great motivator

How about trying to make it a contest? You can check and see who can run faster, work out harder or do more jumping jacks or push-ups. Make sure that one of your kids will win and give that winner a really nice prize. This will motivate the others to try harder. You can use a smartwatch, an online pedometer, or even an app that will track your speed and distance to find out who has won. Ultimately, the more calories that are burned, the better it is, and everyone turns out to be a winner.

Make sure they participate in household activities

Household chores are a great way to lose some excess calories and also instill a sense of responsibility in your children. In fact, quite a few household chores such as washing the dog, mowing the lawn, or waxing the car can burn plenty of extra calories.
Add to those activities growing indoor plants as well. It is a great way to teach your kids the importance of nature and taking care of it. You are going to need to install grow lights to grow indoor plants successfully in order to make up for the lack of lighting. Gardening in general is a good way to get the family together and enjoy some time in each other's company.

Gift them items that will help to increase their physical activity

Rollerblades, soccer balls, bikes, ice skates, and even baseball equipment make awesome gifts for children since they promote a lot of movement and physical activity. You can also gift them a few activity-tracking apps so they too will get caught up in the calorie-burning game.

Limit their screen time

This goes for both TV as well as computer time, not to mention smart devices. You should offer them better options such as joining an after-school karate class or joining a swimming class. As long as they are involved in activities that provide them ample exercise and also keep them entertained, they won't miss their smart devices.

Create your own home gym

You might also consider creating your very own small home gym that will be used by you and your family. You will need age-appropriate equipment there such as very light weights and treadmills that cannot go beyond a certain speed. Apart from that, you will also need wall-to-wall rubber gym flooring so that you and your loved ones will always be able to exercise on a really comfortable gym surface.

Conclusion

Thanks to the proliferation of video games and smart devices, kids rarely ever get the chance to exercise. Here you can do the needful by providing them with alternatives to a sedentary lifestyle. You can also work out in a well-equipped home gym so that everyone is able to keep his or her weight and waistline in check.