Explaining Personality Types(Part 2)

Explaining Personality Types(Part 2)

This subject covers a lot so I'm sorry if I miss something!

34
Explaining Personality Types(Part 2)

So, as this is continuing off of a different article, I thought I'd go ahead and link part 1 just in case: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/personality-types-explained-part-1

So now I've got 4 more functions to explain: Extrovert Intuition, Extroverted Feeling, Introverted Sensing, and Introverted Thinking.

Extroverted Intuition is associated with the ability to gather details about the world and connect them in nearly impossible ways. This can mean that many of the ideas obtained from Extroverted Intuition are actually impossible, but it also means that connections between different ideas or objects can be made that nobody else would have thought of. This function is most obviously seen when people talk about their ideas. They will tend to have an amazing variety of different things to say because they have so many ideas about a subject.

Extroverted Feeling has to do with understanding other people's emotions. It allows for a strong connection with other people and knowing exactly how someone might be feeling. This function normally lends itself to people talking about emotions with people quite often. People with this function deal with their emotions best by talking them out with another person. This function also will normally be present in people who care deeply about others, even if they don't know them.

Introverted Sensing is, in the most basic form, memory. It is essentially a type of thinking where someone lives primarily through their past memories and sensations. This function is also connected to noticing very slight details or noticing small changes in things. Someone who consistently notices when you get a haircut or try a slightly new style probably has strong Introverted Sensing. This function will also often compare past times and memories to present ones. This can lead to a sense of dissatisfaction if the present doesn't quite compare to the past. The classic "back in my day..." line is almost an embodiment of this function.

Lastly, Introverted Thinking. This function is actually fairly similar to Introverted Intuition which I mentioned in the first part. Introverted Thinking desires to create a logical model of how the world works. Experiences are taken in and then assembled into a model of how something works. Once this model has been created, they begin to exploit the system to get things easier. This could look like someone is taking shortcuts and skipping steps, but it may be that they simplly have gathered enough information to deeply understand a system, including its flaws and inefficiencies.

Alright, wow, that's all of the functions. If you are hungering for more(and admittedly better) information about these functions I'd recommend checking this out: https://personalitygrowth.com/cognitive-functions/. Otherwise the Internet is a beautiful place with unlimited information, go hunting.

Moving on though, now I need to mention why the ordering of these functions matter. When I talk about order I mean which function is the strongest in a person down to which is the weakest. I'll start by returning to the letters of a personality type.

Going back to the INTJ, we know that it is an introverted, intuitive, and thinking type, with an extroverted judging function(I don't expect anyone to have remembered that one). I won't go into the details of how to determine the order of functions(if you want to know what all of them are check this out(scroll all the way down for a chart) https://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-priebe/2015/06/if-youre-confused-about-your-myers-briggs-personality-type-read-this-an-intro-to-cognitive-functions/), but I will talk all about what makes the ordering important.

So my first function is Introverted Intuition, this is what I use almost all of the time. It dictates how I perceive the world and how I deal with the information I take in. Since this is my strongest function, everything I mentioned in the first part in regards to this function holds incredibly true for me.

My second function is Extroverted Thinking and, as I mentioned in the first part, it consists of implementing ideas into the world. This is my second function so it doesn't govern everything I do, but it does mean that I have an affinity for efficiency and whether my ideas are realistic. We also can now talk about how these two functions interact with one another. This is why order matters. My Introverted Intuition is first so what I do on a daily basis is construct models of the world based on what I have perceived which isn't always rooted in logic. Once these models are constructed I would compare them with an idealized world and use Extroverted Thinking to implement the things necessary to move us closer to that better world.

My third and fourth functions are Introverted Feeling and Extroverted Sensing. However since the fourth function doesn't really manifest itself until later I have had very little experience with it. As my weakest function it will most likely appear in a fairly negative way. Fourth functions should be better understood as weaknesses then possible ways of thinking. Introverted Feeling is actually something that has begun to manifest itself quite recently for me. It combines strongly with my Introverted Intuition to cause me to think about my emotions often but be unable to really understand them very well. Because Introverted Feeling is my third function it is also best to think of it as a small weakness. I internalize my emotions but I don't necessarily do it all that well. What it boils down to is that I'm bad at dealing with emotions.

That's all from me, I hope that you learned something from all this!