For the Person Whose Instagram Is Not As Good As Everyone Else's

Welcome to the Comparison Wheel of Death. Leave while you still can.

15
Hermes Rivera

After a long week, I found myself dead exhausted. I felt defeated and completely done with it all. The more I looked around me the more broken I felt. Why? Well, because everybody else has it so much better than me. They have more friends than me. They do more fun things than me. And their social media game is far more superior to whatever mine is doing.

After a while of comparing my life to the picture perfect moments people shared on Instagram I realized that once again I am on the comparison wheel of death. The same wheel of death that can be found at the beginning of most of my life trials. It always starts with so and so has this and that better than me, and it just goes downhill from there.

Well, before I could destroy myself with comparing I decided to have an intervention with myself at the kitchen table. So, there were tears, a bit of talking aloud, and a ton of writing. The words that follow is kind of what we (meaning me, myself, and I) came up with. And maybe my crazy late night conversation with myself will be something that you need to hear.

Your beautiful will not look like somebody else's beautiful. While you look around at everybody else's day-to-day yours looks a lot more mundane than those all around you. Your successes seem to fall flat compared to the others you compare them to. Let's not even get started on the many Instagram posts, blog posts, and Facebook posts yours will never hold a candle to.

So, quickly we fall into a game of who does it better. We compare all we do to those whose lives are completely different than our own. Our hearts don't find the same joys out of the same things. We can't all excel in the same thing or else what would be the fun in that? Each of us is built and wired oh so differently, which allows each of us to see the world in a different way.

Have you stopped to think that out there somebody looks at your life in the way that you loot at other people's lives? We are spending so much time focused on other people's beautiful, that we are missing out on our own. We forget how the less than picture perfect moments make up something beautiful and unique made specifically for us. We get so focused on achieving the perfect and beautiful life that is "found everywhere else" and we miss out on how our own beautiful mess will only help us grow and love life all the more.

Dear one please don't look at the lives of the people around you and fall into despair that their "beautiful" is so much more than your own. You are where you are, how you are, the way you are supposed to be. So, take a step back, quit comparing, quit social media focusing on others. Instead, remember that your beautiful life is not the same.