To The Person Who Can't Shake Their Depression

A letter of encouragement to the person who needs a little pick up in their life.

10
Marcus Kazmierczak

To the person who thinks it'll never get better,

First of all, it will get better, trust me.

For the past few years, I struggled with my depression. I was prescribed to different antidepressants. When I was taken off them, I thought I would never get through. I suffered through hard times. I didn’t go to school as much as I would like. I didn’t enjoy the sport I used to love. I didn’t even like to go out anymore. I realized I wasn’t alone, either. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, one in five adults experience some sort of mental illness in a given year. It wasn’t just me going through this. I soon realized that it wasn’t worth it anymore to view life like that. After around 5 years of struggling, I finally found my true self.

Don’t think your life is over and that there is no end in sight. Don’t think that you’re not worth anything or that your life is a waste of time. You are more than that. You are strong, brave, courageous, beautiful. You are the strongest just for fighting the way you do. Trust me it’s hard, I know. But, when you finally start to experience happiness again, your life will change.

Depression changes you as a person. You learn in ways that you wouldn’t otherwise. Enjoy all the little moments because they tend to make you the happiest. Go out and have a little fun once and awhile even though you may not want to. Be spontaneous and enjoy life, it's precious. Go to school and get that degree you’ve been putting off, go get a job and work your way to become successful. Be brave and do that things that you wouldn’t have done otherwise. Take those risks you’ve feared.

It does get better, believe me. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Keep on fighting, I know you can do it!