"You have to make a little noise, you have to move your feet. This is the time."
News

Perseverance, in the words of 5 inspiring black icons.

41

We can credit much of our growth to other people. The way we empathize with others, the way we problem solve, how we adopt new mindsets; it all comes from the unique experiences we’ve had. Having a positive mindset is a catalyst for creative thinking and motivation, and it cannot be possible without the experiences we learn from others. Here are 5 powerful quotes from black icons who have impacted our history, perspective, and our culture, in celebration of adopting new perspectives.

"We have been quiet for too long. There comes a time where you have to say something. You have to make a little noise, you have to move your feet. This is the time. " - John Lewis

www.nbcnews.com

A United States Representative and civil rights leader since the 1960s , John Lewis never stopped fighting for black equality. Whether it was his role as Freedom Rider or his graphic novels that teach the young generation about the civil rights movement, he encouraged the world to speak up and be the change you want to see.

"Sure, you wish you did things differently. But there is no sense in becoming burdened with regret over things you have no power to change." -Rihanna

In addition to her impact on the music industry, Rihanna has left a giant impact on the makeup and lingerie industry, offering over 40 foundation shades as opposed to the usual 12, and lingerie that flatters every body type. Fenty Beauty and Savage x Fenty are unique brands because they give a powerful message: no one needs to look good for anyone but themselves.

“I knew then and I know now, when it comes to justice, there's no easy way to get it.” -Claudette Colvin

www.thefamouspeople.com

Many assume that Rosa Parks was the first one to refuse to give up her seat on the bus. Claudette Colvin was the first. She was 15 when she refused to give her seat to a white person on a bus during the civil rights movement. Recalling that moment, she said " I couldn't move. History had me glued to the seat." Colvin reminds us that we have a responsibility to be good human beings, not just for ourselves, but for the world.

You can never know where you are going unless you know where you have been."- Amelia Boynton Robinson

www.northcountrypublicradio.org

Amelia was the first African American woman to run for Congress. Although she lost, she brought injustice into perspective for many Americans. She was one of the first to participate in the Selma March to protest police violence and the violation of African American voting rights, and inspired the world to never stay quiet in fear of whats ahead.

“The number one rule of acting is, ‘do not seek approval from the audience.’ People don’t realize that. You can’t do stuff to get applause. You have to live in the truth.”- Chadwick Boseman

www.thefashionisto.com

Chadwick Boseman was an American actor, writer, and director. Since he was young he had a passion for acting and directing, and easily captivated an audience with the life and pride he brought to his characters. In "Black Panther" he brought to life a world that displays the prides and struggles of humanity, touching audiences all around the globe and changing Hollywood for the better. His life reminds everyone to give the world the best version of themselves and take full advantage of the life they are given.