What People With Lifelong Depression Want You To Know

Depression is a serious mental illness that often gets brushed aside or lightly talked about.

206

People like to throw around the word "depressed" when something upsetting happens and although this seems innocent enough, when we talk about mental illnesses in a casual manner such as this, it downplays the seriousness of this illness.

Depression isn't just getting upset when something bad happens, it's a reoccurring feeling of emptiness and hopelessness even when everything is going your way. Depression doesn't just occur because you're having a bad day, depression is having a great day and not being able to enjoy it. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and although a traumatic event can mimic the feelings of depression, it is different than having dysthymia (mild but life-long depression) or major depression.

Thank you to those who try and make us feel better by sharing your experience of when you overcame a difficult time and how you were "depressed" because of a certain event. We know you are just trying to help, but at the same time we also want to scream in frustration. I know what you went through is hard, but a sad time in your life is not the same thing as battling a life long illness. I am so happy you overcame what you went through but that story does not help us and here is why: sure, with the right medication and dosage mental illnesses can be maintained and we can live a fairly normal life.

But even on the right medication we will never be "cured" and that is okay. Life-long depression is not something you just "overcome" it takes time and effort in order to make progress, but it does not go away. It is also not something to be ashamed of. Having a mental illness does not make you "weird" or "different." We shouldn't be afraid to talk about the seriousness of these illnesses, so why are we still referring to them like they are jokes? So please, next time think twice before you use the word "depressed" so lightly, because you never know who is battling their own mental illness.