The Best Ways To Save Money In College

The Best Ways To Save Money In College

Penny pinching is an art you will need by the time college starts

6
The Best Ways To Save Money In College
Wonderbranding.com

The college experience is fantastic. You get to explore so many new horizons, create your own schedule, go to parties, and maybe meet that special someone. College allows you to gain ten pounds on fast food and cafeteria "meals," sleep in as late as you want, and it allows you to pay $118 for a textbook, that you don't even get to keep. While college has the potential to be fiun and exhilerating, it also has the potential to break the bank, and send you into hours of pulling your hair out as your bank account zeros out. Here are just a few tips and tricks that will allow you to (hopefully) save your wallet and yourself from the stresses of an empty bank account.

1. Go to the store when your parents are visiting

Your parents love you. So when they visit, be sure to exploit that love and affection in the form of making them buy you groceries. And don't pick up those off brand Oreo's you normally go for. When the folks are buying, go big or go home. Load up on the good Mac-n-Cheese, buy those Chewy Chips Ahoy, and grab yourself a bag of real Doritos. It is on them after all.

2. Call your grandparents and complain about finances

Your grandparents are especially vulnerable when you tug on their heartstrings. This method works, but you have to be subtle about it. The biggest key is to not go right out and say how much you need money. Instead, drop little hints such as, "Man, money is a little tight right now, but I'm sure I'll be fine." Make sure you talk about how you're stressed about finances, but also add in that you can probably handle it. You will be saying this at the same moment they are getting a check in the mail.

3. Take advantage of student discounts

You're a student. No one loves you more than all of the fast food chains in your town, and to attract you to their stores even more, many of them will offer special student discounts if you know where to look. Another huge student discount participant happen to be movie theaters. If you have a valid student ID, don't be afraid to be frugal and ask for that discount.

4. Don't grocery shop at Target

Target has some of the most expensive groceries on the market. Instead of hitting up the nice fancy Target, go down to a place like Walmart or Aldi. Sure, the scenery isn't as nice, but not only will you save a few bucks on every item, you might be lucky enough to people watch and come home with a great story.

5. Buy the cheaper alcohol

As a fraternity man, I am a leading authority on alcohol, which allows me to tell you that alcohol is alcohol. It will all produce the same effect, even though it may not taste the same. Why spend 20 bucks on a case of Bud Light when you can buy a case of Natural Light for 12 to 15 bucks? This allows you to not only have a great time, it also allows you to save some money to spend on even more alcohol... or school things.

6. Find some cupons and use them

Growing up with the mother that I did, I always thought she was ridiculous for using cupons all the time. Now that I am a poor college student, I understand the value of cupons more than anyone else. There are great apps for nearly all fast food chains, and even some apps like "Groupon" and "Kaching" that will even notify you of new cupons.

7. Make reward apps your significant other

Now if you're the average college student, then you enjoy Starbucks just as much as the next person. If you go there alot, you would know about the Starbucks reward app. Everytime you order, you get stars towards your next level, and every level rewards you with new perks! For example, after you've earned your first few stars, you get FREE refils in the store. That's right. FREE STARBUCKS. What more could you ask for?

8. Single-ply toilet paper is fine

Toilet paper is one of those necessities that everyone needs. Unfortunately, when you go to pick yours up, there are so many different options and confusing words presented trying to get you to buy the more expensive versions. Words like "single-ply" and "double-ply" are thrown in your face to try and confuse you and distract from the real issues: the price. "Single-ply" is simply toilet paper that is folded only once, and it still works just fine, for a cheaper price as well! Our ancestors survived for thousands of years using nothing more than leaves to wipe their bums. Sometimes sacrifices must be made.

There it is. Eight different steps you can take to save your wallet and your sanity while college creeps up on you ever closer. Remember, penny pinching is an art, and your job is to master it.