Best Hiking Spots in Pennsylvania
Travel

Hidden Gems to Hike in Pennsylvania This Summer

And why you really should.

215
https://www.pexels.com/photo/adult-adventure-beautiful-climb-287240/

If you meet anyone from Pennsylvania, ever, they'll more than likely tell you that there's nothing here besides farms. Although that may be very, very true; there are a few really fun places to go hiking with some pretty amazing views.

1. Hawk Mountain, Kempton, PA

Hawk Mountain is definitely one of my favorite places to go hiking. The trails are well marked and the views are gorgeous. The most popular trail is the "Outlook Trail" that takes you to multiple outlooks. The North Outlook is the highest point of this trail and has a gorgeous view of the Valley of Rocks and part of the Appalachian Trail connecting to the Pinnacle. The trails are mostly pretty easy and straightforward besides the "Skyline Trail" which is significantly more difficult, having hikers scale down some rocks for 30 feet from the North Outlook. Each of the trails on Hawk Mountain can be completed within one day (even a couple hours). There's a $10 fee for non-members to use these trails, but all of the money goes towards conserving the trails/mountain as well as the many hawks and other birds that inhabit there.

2. Lehigh Gap (via Appalachian Trail)

This trail was rated moderate on alltrails.com (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/pennsylvania/lehigh-gap-via-appalachian-trail ), although someone without much hiking experience may think otherwise. There are a lot of steep, pointy rocks you need to be able to climb on. I would not at all recommend any shoes besides good hard soled sneakers or hiking shoes. Getting to the point from the entrance to that trail is not terribly far and has a gorgeous view. This is part of the Appalachian Trail too so there's definitely other things to explore besides climbing to the top, back down, and leaving. Some people even spend a couple days on this section of the AT, which would be an experience in itself.

3. Glen Onoko Falls, Jim Thorpe, PA

This is one of the most difficult trails I have hiked. It is very steep and slippery in some parts due to the falls. Some of the rocks you need to climb up are very steep and you'll need to help get yourself up them by pulling yourself up with tree roots. You need to cross over rocks and tree trunks within the water at some points, which can be difficult for many people. The hike is definitely worth it, the falls are gorgeous. One of the gorges before the main one is absolutely gorgeous and has some flat rocks that are good to sit and eat lunch on. The last time I hiked Glen Onoko I actually ate my lunch there. I'd highly recommend hiking shoes for this trail, if not, really reliable sneakers. The easiest way to begin the trail is to follow the signs from the parking lot, though this is not well marked. What I do to get to the trail is once down the stairs from the parking lot, turn to your right and follow the water's edge to the very end (or beginning, whichever floats your boat) of the falls, then up. Although this way is much easier to find, it is much more difficult and completely vertical in some areas. AllTrails.com has this trail rated as "Hard", which I fully agree with.

Along with being a difficult trail it is also very dangerous. Many hikers have been seriously injured or even died here. Don't be stupid if you do decide to come hike here. Walking towards the falls is not safe, just common sense. I highly suggest staying out of the water in the gorges, being this is what has caused injury and death here. The other cause of the tragedies that occur annually are falling. Wet rocks are extremely slippery, please be careful. The sign at the main entrance to the trail (as well as signs throughout the trail) state, "This trail is extremely dangerous. Follow these rules to be safe: Hiking boots only, no sneakers or flip-flops, no drugs or alcohol, stay on trail, and good physical condition of hiker. People have been seriously hurt or killed by not following these rules," alongside police notices that say to call 911 in case of emergency. Either way, it's definitely worth the effort.

4. Beartown Rocks Trail, Clear Creek State Park

This trail is fairly easy and has a gorgeous view at the top. The trail is well marked and has some bridges and walkways in areas where climbing the rocks would be more difficult. There are also areas where you can skip the walkway and climb the rocks if you are more into that. This is one of the first places I went hiking with one of my friends and her family. This is also one of the areas that made me fall in love with hiking. Be careful of snakes, they are everywhere on the trail. I'd say this trail is great for beginners as well as children.

Hiking is one of the most rewarding things you can do. Even if you start a hike telling yourself you can't get to the top or it's "boring", when you get to the top, you'll sit there and think "I just did that" and as stupid as it sounds, it is extremely self-rewarding. If you decide to go on any of these hikes or any others make sure you wear good shoes and be safe. Happy hiking!