No I Am Not A Student At The University of Washington, But That Doesn't Mean I Can't Support Them

Newsflash: you don't have to physically attend a school to cheer for them.

15
PJ Star

Yesterday afternoon, the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl commenced in Georgia. The Crimson Tide defeated the University of Washington Huskies, which was a sad loss for us Washingtonians in the PNW. However, the game sprouted several interesting comments from collegiate students across multiple social media platforms. The most prevalent idea that seemed to trend across Twitter and Facebook, was the idea that students who don't attend specific colleges, do not have the right to cheer for another college's football team, or sports teams in general.

So let's get a little more specific. I attend a small Catholic University in Lacey, Washington. Also in Washington State lies the University of Washington (the Huskies) in Seattle, and Washington State University (the cougars) in Pullman. Both of these big name Washington State colleges have an overwhelmingly strong and aggressive rivalry. Students from UW and WSU go out of their way to prank one another and prove that their school is greater and better than the latter. Coincidentally, I noticed that several students who attend or are big fans of WSU were obviously rooting for Alabama to win, in hopes of crushing the huskies just a little bit more.

However, it appears that many WSU students in particular (along with other college students in general) claim that non-UW students should not boast their excitement or support for UW, considering we do not attend the Seattle School. And here I am, a college student who does not in fact attend UW but thoroughly supports and admires the university. I have family who attended the University of Washington, and considered attending myself two years ago. But I didn't.

I decided against attending the University of Washington because of the insane costs. I couldn't afford the tuition and living expenses in Seattle without taking out grand loans that would stress me out and cause havoc on my finances. While I could live at home and graduate debt free in Lacey. But just because I do not physically attend UW does not mean that I don't have the privilege of cheering for them in sports.

The bottom line here is that despite what other students may claim- You don't have to attend a college to support them. Many factors weigh into college choices and even though I go to Saint Martin's University, I will always love the Washington Huskies. Go Dawgs!