Goodbye Freshman Year

Goodbye Freshman Year

Boy, did you speed by

31
Goodbye Freshman Year
Kayla Master

People say that college can be the best four years of your life. They often fail to mention how fast that time will actually fly by. Here I am, just a few short weeks away from completing the first year of those best years. Now, while I can't confirm if it's actually been the best year of my life (though it has had some pretty great moments) it's most certainly been the fastest year of my life. I really can't believe how much has changed in a year, but day by day, week by week, and month by month, freshman year has truly been a blink of an eye (and while it's meant figuratively, it seems almost literally as well). And with each passing paper, test, or homework assignment, it seems to go by even faster. Now I could probably say how fast time is going a hundred different times in a hundred different ways, but that gets a little repetitive.

My freshman year of college, maybe not be exactly how I pictured it to go, was definitely an adventure so far. I've met so many friends, had a lot of fun, and surprisingly, learned a lot. College has also offered me the opportunity to meet so many diverse, amazing people that I never previously interacted with. Rutgers has given me an amazing chance to see the world as I never would've seen it otherwise and so far I've been able to try so many new things that I'm not sure I would've received from other schools. I've participated in Dance Marathon, ran a Muddy 5K and a Big Chill (still don't know why I roped myself into those ones), and joined a sorority (which I've loved every second of so far). Every big event and activity I've participated in so far this year has been another tick off the boxes, and each tick has moved me forward through my college career.

Like every college student goes through, I've definitely been indecisive about things like my major, which has been a hot mental debate for me these last two semesters. While I'm still not firm on what I want to do for that area of my life, I do know that while I have plenty of time to actually decide, if the next few semesters fly by as fast as these two did, that decision may have to come sooner than I'd like. But, despite that anxious decision, I know that all have many college decisions to make over these next few years.

College has flown by so far, so if you're an incoming freshman, take my rising sophomore-ly advise and cherish those memories while you can. Or, if you happen to hate it, don't worry, it'll go by so fast you won't even have to deal with it for long.