Party Politics

Party Politics

A Bipartisan Explantion of Voting Rationale

12
Party Politics
CNN

Everyone has something to say about the presidential election. It's dominated the news over the last year, causing most people, especially Americans to wonder what is going on. It is not only notable, because the two candidate are the most disliked in perhaps all of history, but because it had challenged the validity of American democracy, the alignment of the media, and how two people in conflict for office should treat each other. Fact checking has become increasingly difficult. Trump's famous "nasty woman" comment, and Hillary Clinton's insults about the "basket of deplorable" and her opponents existence as a "puppet" are unprecedented. This tumultuous environment has people frantically trying to balance the scales: whom is worth voting for, what can we excuse about a candidate, should someone be condemned for how they acted, is voting worthwhile at all? This dissension has caused many people to staunchly defend their candidate, and abuse those who agree otherwise. It has disappointed me how many of my own friends hastily abuse those who choose those that oppose their supporters. Anyone who decides to vote for Hillary Clinton is a Killary supporter. They're brainwashed, weak, in some cases anti-American libtards who don't understand how the world works. People voting for Donald Trump are inherently racist, sexist, and stupid.
I'm not without my own opinion, and I have already made my choice, however I've read articles and listed to testimony from both sides. From that, I've learned how each views their own argument and try to present both in the most bipartisan way I can.

Valid Reasons to vote for Donald Trump:
1) Donald Trump's economic plan - Donald Trump wants to cut taxes on all income brackets, eliminate the death taxes, reduce the corporate tax rate. He would impose tariffs and dispose with some of the current trade practices. This plan is designed to appeal to fiscally conservative voters.
2) Donald Trump + Russia and other foreign policy - The Republican presidential candidate is highly in favor of cooperation with Russia. He is seen as a strong leader, who will use the right means necessary to end the war in Syria, and he also says that the United States cannot continue supporting nations without some kind of reciprocation.
3) Donald Trump as a businessman - Regardless of what you may have heard about Donald Trump's failed business ventures, he is quite wealthy. He does have experience as a businessman, and perhaps could use that to reduce the United States debt. He has said he will be working for America, and will use all he knows about business to reduce debt.

Valid Reasons to Vote for Hillary Clinton:
1) Hillary Clinton's economic plan - If you like Bernie Sander's appeal for free college, Clinton's plan might look appealing to you. She also wants to raise taxes on higher income brackets, and use an exit tax on companies to keep them inside the US. She wants to create jobs in the renewable energy sector. Which brings us to our next pro for Hillary.
2) The Environment - Whether or not you think the environment is a big issue, many people find it to be so. Hillary Clinton does not support drilling in the Arctic. She's promised to make an investment in renewable energy, and she says she will listen to scientist on the matter.
3) Hillary Clinton: Foreign Policy - Clinton probably has the most foreign policy experience of any president in the past few election cycles. We could argue all day about whether that is good or not, but she does have plans that appeal to people. She wants to allow more refugees to enter the country, and she wants to reduce our military involvement in the middle east.

Overlapping issues:
1) Supreme Court Justices and Vice President - This is actually a reason many people have made their choice regarding both Trump and Hillary. Regardless of your personal feelings about either one, the person they pick to sit on the supreme court will be there for years. A traditional conservative vote might pick Donald Trump, because they know that if he messes up, he will be impeached, and Mike Pence will take over the White House. Similarly, many liberal voters remain loyal to Hillary because they know she will pick someone who corresponds with their views.
2) Gun Laws - Donald Trump proclaims himself to be a huge proponent of the second amendment. He is a law and order candidate, who wants to address the problem of criminals with guns. He encourages people to have weapons to defend themselves. Hillary shares the view of many liberals that guns have become dangerous in our society. She wants to have more restraints on who can buy guns and what kind of guns people can buy.
3) Abortion politics - This is an emotional topic for many people. For many Christians, it is difficult to vote for a candidate who endorses planned parenthood, and supports late term abortions (even for health related reasons). On the flip side, having a president who openly supports a woman's control over her body appeals to many liberals.

We all know the negatives of each political candidate. If you are a strong supporter of either candidate, you've probably been slinging around the various scandals your opposing party has been involved in. Its easy to dismiss someone else's views as idiotic or stupid if they don't correspond with your, but many of the decisions in this election have been based on rationale that aligns with personal values or hopes. In the end, we all have to live with each other after the election, so maybe its a good idea to foster respect for each other, and try to conduct arguments civilly.