Why Is Participation And Attendance A Grade In College?

If I do all the work, why should my grade suffer because I didn't "participate?"

1906
natcom.org

After three years in college, I have come to accept that there are somethings that are just never going to change like the grading scale being really whacked out (what happened to just 0-100?) or buying a $100 plus book and only reading out of it one time. There is one other constant that makes its way back every semester that is probably what the professor stress the most during syllabus week is the "Attendance and Participation grade." I have never understood why I am having to participate or being penalized for missing a class that I am paying for.

I'm not saying that people should skip class all the time, but those professors that lower your grade because you needed a day off or had something that needed to be done or you were sick are completely forgetting that their class is not the only class or the only thing going on in my life. Going to class is important and you will not pass if you do not go, but let me make that decision on my own. And I should not just fail a class because I missed a few days, I should fail because I didn't do the work. I am paying for the class, so why should my grade suffer if I am missing a day to go to the doctor? Why should my "A" that I got because I do all the homework and study to make great grades on my exams turn into a "B" because I missed three days of class?

Grades for participation is not just a college thing, but it has also made its way to high school. No one should be forced to talk and ask questions in class especially for a grade. There are more ways than speaking out to the class to show class participation. There are some students that are outgoing and do not have any problem with speaking out in class, and I commend them. I wish that I was able to speak to a large group without feeling anxiety, without stumbling over my words, or without shaking, but I am not. And I am not the only one. And forcing me to do it, will not make the fear go away. I have been able to speak out more, but the feelings never go away. Forcing people into speaking in front of large groups without any preparation is surely to cause some extremely unneeded stress in an already stressful time in a college students life. The professors say that the students speaking out shows the professor that they have done the reading, but doesn't the work I turn in show that too? If I am 100% paying attention and have that direct eye contact with you, the professor, why isn't that enough?

Professors always say in classes that there are no stupid questions, but there are stupid questions. Asking obvious answered questions are stupid questions. Asking questions that the teacher answered five minutes before, but you weren't paying attention are stupid questions. People seem to think that if you don't ask questions then you must to be paying attention. Like I said before, having direct eye contact and taking notes are ways of participating. After six semesters in college, I have learned it is the people that are constantly asking questions are the ones that did not pay attention or the ones that did not read what was required of them. Why do they get credit for asking obvious questions, but I am penalized for understanding the material and focusing in class? I don't have questions because I get it. Why would I ask a question that I already know the answer too?

I am the one paying for the class. The professor is going to be paid whether I show up or not or whether I talk or not, so why are my grades lower because I missed class or I understood the material enough not to ask questions?