What I Learned From Visiting Odyssey Headquarters

Being a part of Odyssey is being a part of something greater.

211

I've written and been an editor for The Odyssey Online for several months now. I started Francis Marion's first team (with the help of the headquarters in New York) in February of this year, and there's one question I've had to ask myself and many other people hundreds of times, "Why do you want to work for Odyssey?"

Well, why should you? Usually, when recruiting and talking to potential new team members, I tell them the usual. I tell them that Odyssey is a platform, a place where you get to share your voice, where you get to be heard nationally. Odyssey believes that your voice matters, and it's a modern way to be heard unlike any social media platform in the past. I know you've probably heard it, and while it's true, I understand that sometimes it doesn't feel like it's enough.

My Odyssey team is constantly changing. People are constantly leaving, and new people are coming in. It's hard for some people to stay committed, and I understand. While Odyssey is filled with great opportunities, sometimes that isn't enough for people. You aren't getting paid per article, so many times people don't see a penalty in not submitting or enough motivation to fuel their commitment. Everyone has a chance, of course, to win $20 a week if you are the most shared article on the team. However, I know many times this feels like a popularity contest and that certain people who have the most friends on social media are most likely to win. Most of the time when trying to keep people motivated, I end up repeating the same things I said in the second paragraph and struggle to think of new reasons. Why should you write, or why should you stay writing, for Odyssey when sometimes it feels like the work may outreach the reward?

I was able to visit Odyssey headquarters while visiting NYC this week, and it gave me a whole new perspective. I am the first to admit sometimes it's odd when you're a writer and you've never seen your managing editor in New York, and all you know about them is what you've heard of from your editor who only talks with them over the phone or sees them on Google Hangout. It can seem cold and removed instead of warm and friendly. Who are all these people? Who am I working for? Well, I can tell you.

Located on the fifth floor of a building in the heart of NYC is a group of some of the friendliest, most hardworking people I've had the pleasure to meet. It's an open, friendly environment, but everyone is also working extremely hard to make Odyssey better and better. I was able to meet both my current and past Managing Editors (ME's) as well as the person who helped me start my team in the first place, and they were all eve

I was able to walk around and tour the floor and see all the work people do. It's not someone working out of a basement as my ME joked; it's real. It's people who wake up every day and come to work and genuinely care about the work they're doing. This leads me to what I believe is the most important reason to write for and stay with Odyssey: you are a part of something bigger.n more incredible in person, friendly and inspirational.

When you are on an Odyssey team, even if it feels distant because you haven't met a majority of the people, it isn't. Even if it feels like no one actually cares about what you're writing or creating, they do. When you're part of Odyssey, you are part of a community that cares about the voices of this generation, each one of them, and works hard every day to promote them.

I've felt down before, and I've doubted my place on the team, even as Editor in Chief. Sometimes, when I'm tired, and I can't think of anything to write, I want to give up. Sometimes when no one is turning in articles, and I'm struggling with the team, I want to give up. However, going to New York this week helped me realized that I'm not alone. There are hundreds and thousands of people struggling with me because they want to create and inspire. It's re-sparked my love for Odyssey, and I hope it sparks something within you too.

If you would like to be a Content Creator for my Francis Marion Odyssey team (or any other team) click the link below to submit a request: https://muse.theodysseyonline.com/apply