Our Parents' Childhood Compared To Ours

Our Parents' Childhood Compared To Ours

It was a lot different back then.

3643
Our Parents' Childhood Compared To Ours
Godlis

As many parents know, us kids these days have it a lot easier than you did when you were growing up. However, thankfully for us, you want us to have a better life than you had. Therefore, you provide us with a lot more than what you were provided and for that we all should be forever thankful.

1. Our parents worked for what they wanted.

I'm sure there were times when, "Mom, I want new clothes," or "Mom, can I get this toy?" came up. But the fact of the matter was, it was a different time back then. Many parents worked extremely hard to provide for their families. But when our parents wanted something when they were young, they had to work for it. There were no Audis or BMWs for their 16th birthdays, there wasn't $150 jeans; they got what they could afford. Even if what they could afford was a death trap...it's what they dealt with.

2. Chores were like an after school job.

Saying, "I have plans," or "I'm too tired" was no excuse for skipping out on their chores. When our parents were growing up chores were a part-time job. If they lived in that house, then they helped out. Nowadays, kids come up with all kinds of excuses as to why they can't do their chores (I am guilty of this). That would not fly as our parents went through their childhood years, they did their chores first, then they got to go play or go out with their friends.

3. They played outside.

Playing outside was one of the easiest ways to keep kids occupied. Whether it be with the neighborhood kids or their own siblings, outside was a type of freedom no kid argued with. However, kids at this time couldn't care less about being outside. Most of us spend our days locked in our rooms playing video games, texting or what have you.

4. It was OK to be the next block over.

Another thing to add onto playing outside, it wasn't a big deal where they were. Our parents could have been in a different state as long as they were home for dinner, it did not matter. Playing in the street wasn't even a huge deal. But with us, our parents have to know where we are at all times, "Text me when you get there," or "Let me know when you leave," and we have to be safe with our whereabouts. Our parents have become a lot more paranoid and concerned than their parents ever were.

5. Safety wasn't a huge deal.

The parents at this time weren't too concerned about safety. Kids would come home with cuts and bruises, but nothing would be done about it except maybe a Band-Aid. Our parents could have been in fist fights, but as long as they could still walk and see they were fine. Even with driving, seatbelts were a rare occurrence. Our parents would ride in the bed of a truck around town and no one would take a second look. At this time, if a child was caught even without their seatbelt on, they were going to be grounded. They would probably even lose their car privileges.

6. There was no being picky about your dinner.

I can vouch for myself and say that I am a very picky eater. I eat limited meats and I'm not a huge fan of vegetables either. Therefore, in my case, my father makes me meals to my liking; even if it's different from what him and my mother are having. As for my mother when she was young, you ate what was made. There was no, "I don't like green beans," or "Can I have something else?" you were lucky to have food on your plate and you were going to eat it regardless.

7. Kids weren't diagnosed left and right with disorders.

This is one that hits some people hard. Kids weren't diagnosed with all these problems. Kids were simply just being kids. If you were hyper, you were simply hyper, you didn't have ADHD. But as of now, I know of at least one kid who has anxiety or depression, etc. Everyone has some sort of illness, no one seems to just be human.

8. Friendships.

One last thing. Friendships and communication were way different for our parents than they are for us. There was no texting, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. If our parents wanted to tell their friends something, they would call them, even if they had to fight their other siblings for phone time. Friendships and communication wasn't all through a phone or computer (many didn't even have a computer). Our parents went out with their friends. They enjoyed face-to-face talks and sporadic adventure. Their childhoods were a lot more spontaneous than ours. They had memories that would never be forgotten, not because they were posted online, but because they had a great time.

With all that being said, we can learn a thing or two from our parents. It is about time we show them how grateful we are for everything they do to allow us to have a better life than they did.