Overcoming Writer's Block

Overcoming Writer's Block

Two methods that you can use in order to prevent writer's block and to overcome it when you have it.

9
Overcoming Writer's Block
9Bridges

It's a wall, it's frustration, it's, you guessed it, writer's block! While spending time trying so hard to figure out what to write about this week, inspiration struck me in the most ironic way; I decided to write about the very thing that was plaguing me. For all you writers out there, you know the feeling. It's like a mist that clouds your creative thinking, and you can't seem to find your way out of it. However, there are ways to beat writer's block. Writing is a practice that focuses on thinking and typing (or physically writing), and visualizing what words to string together to form coherent thoughts. By taking a break from writing and paying attention to other matters, you will free yourself from the stress of writing and be able to relax. There are different methods that can be used toward this, and with practice, you'll be a writer unstopped by even the most heinous writer's block.

Taking a break from writing, even if writer's block hasn't set in, is important to your mental state. Writing for an extended time can tire out the creative process and lead to mental exhaustion, thus eventually leading to a block in thinking and an inability to produce new thoughts and ideas. So, to counter this, set times for writing. Write for twenty minutes at a time and take a break for about 5-10 minutes in between and do something that is productive but not mentally tiresome, like watering plants, cooking up a light snack, or doing a quick session of yoga. This frees the mind up from the process of writing and enables you to be in touch with yourself, especially if you use those 5-10 minutes to do something you enjoy. This is one tool you can use for writing and to prevent the onset of writer's block, rather than to reverse the effects of writer's block once it has set in.

While it is great to be able to prevent writer's block in the first place, it is also important to understand how to get out of a situation where writer's block starts to hinder your writing capabilities. It's crucial to be able to write without experiencing any sort of mental delay like that, especially when pressed for time. So, in order to get out of a situation where you feel writer's block, you have to indulge yourself. Let me explain. When you feel writer's block, it's an inability to come up with ideas or thoughts that you need in order to continue your piece. You need to relieve the stress that you are feeling in order to be able to continue to think creatively. So, how do you do this? By relaxing and focusing in another area entirely. Don't even try to start thinking about your piece; just relax! The best ideas happen spontaneously. My idea for this article actually appeared to me after I had just finished watching an episode of a show I just started, and it happened spontaneously. However, watching a show doesn't have to be your version of relaxing. The best way to relax and come up with new ideas that will get past your writer's block is to focus on one of your senses. For example, you could stimulate your sense of taste by eating some of your favorite savory foods, or by trying a new food you haven't yet had. You could also attempt to view something visually appealing, (which is what I did by watching my show), by looking at colorful pieces of art. By stimulating your senses, instead of focusing your brain on one area, you are opening your mind to new experiences that will spark creativity in your brain. You don't always have to resort toward doing the same activity either. You could decide to listen to some calming music or smell calming scents (like lavender) in order to relax and set your mind free. Whatever sense you decide to indulge, make sure the experience is relaxing, and has some enjoyable qualities to it. Good luck to all you writers out there!