Overcoming the Second Semester Slump

Overcoming the Second Semester Slump

Here are some tips to snap out of it!

2
Overcoming the Second Semester Slump

It's midway through second semester, freshman year. It's Saturday night and I'm in the mood to just watch tv with my best friend and order takeout food instead of going out. What is this?! I thought freshman year was supposed to be full of late nights, crazy parties and no sleep?

That saying should definitely be changed with first semester. Once the gamedays wear off and the excitement of a new place grows into a comfort, you are left with restless nights wondering what your major should be and what you're doing with your life. You've spent the past few weeks racking your mind about what to do with the rest of your life. You're too busy stressing about the future to concentrate on the now.

You get tired after one morning class, take multiple naps throughout the day, and still look for ways to procrastinate yet don't require any physical activity.

The Second Semester Slump is hitting hard. You're done for!! How do we escape this premature aging? I haven't even entered my twenties yet and I'm already en route to my retirement home. If you're feelin' some type of way (slumpish), then here's some ideas to spruce up your life and get that senior citizen walker kicked into full gear!

Explore by yourself Going on new journeys by yourself can be relaxing and enjoyable if done right! First of all, stay safe. If you're traveling alone or using public transportation, daytime is the best to do so. A few weekends ago I went to a town 30 minutes away and spent my time journaling, browsing art books at Barnes & Noble, and ate a nice meal! It's some nice time to yourself to relax on your own terms and not have to worry about anyone or anything else!

Find new study spots If you're going to be studying anyways, why not do it in a new café or library? It can be exciting finding your new favorite coffee shop with some awesome eats and coffee! (Highly suggested - Roma Café in Elmwood)

EdEdiEdJoin a new club/activity College campuses are known to have plenty of resources – many of which you probably aren't even aware of. There will always be something that sparks your interest, big or small, and if not… then create your own club! Whether it's cooking club, a business fraternity, or ultimate frisbee, something will click! These are great ways to get involved in something new to add a different element to your life.

Ed

Journal For me, journaling is a great release. It's a free place to plan ideas, brainstorm, draw, relieve stress, and more. Having things down on paper always tends to control my stresses!

Those are just a few suggestions, and there's plenty more. Spend your time on this planet wisely and instead of stressing out, being lazy, or becoming bored with your normal routine, find something new to get excited about!