What It Means To Overcome Anxiety

What It Means To Overcome Anxiety

Have you ever felt something, something you aren't sure what it is but it’s there, lurking over your head?

11
What It Means To Overcome Anxiety
Prairie Rose Photography by Megan Malone

Have you ever felt something, something you aren't sure what it is but it’s there, lurking over your head? This is what I experienced after my near fatal rollover car accident with my brother.

It’s the feeling where I just knew something was going to happen similar to my wreck, and it would end badly. I would dream of it, think of it sitting in the car, and the thought would be in the back of my head any time of day.

I don't remember how I came to learn what I was feeling was called, whether talking to my physician or counselor. I learned what I was feeling was called anxiety.

Anxiety. Did this mean I was crazy, going crazy or was something wrong with me? Honestly, I didn't know what to think of what the conclusion was. I knew I was more than nervous to get in a car, even if I wasn't driving, cars freaked me out.

I also knew I could envision the wreck happen at any time. It was so graphic and visual. Here I was, a name to what I was feeling, and someone to help me get through it.

I had nightmares, night terrors more like it, which filled my nights with screams, panic, crying and bad dreams of the wreck. I was more than afraid to fall asleep, scared of what I would see when I closed my eyes. Anxiety.

I began experiencing times of panic when I would be sitting, trying to relax, and nothing would be happening around me. I would freak out about my school work, homework assignments (due soon or even far away), not seeing my family, you name it.

I'm not sure what it was, but I just was uneasy about everything. Riding in a car seemed nearly impossible. I didn't want to continue my classes because I wasn't sure how I would do. So, I went to my physician seeking help.

I started taking something to help me sleep, which took away the night terrors and dreams, and I slept like a rock. I also visited with a counselor once a week. We talked about what I was feeling, how my week was, how school was going, how my brother was. I kept my conversation light. I learned talking about how I was feeling, what I was dreaming, kept my sense of panic and anxiety down more and more often. There was something about getting the emotions I was experiencing off my chest making me feel at ease.

It became clear to me, I needed to be around people who were encouraging me, helping me through my tough time, there to talk to and who understood there would be bad days.

I had friends who invested time in me, making sure I was taken care of, had my school work ready for the next day, and treated me no different. I learned who my true friends were because they were the ones sticking by me through the tough times, when I needed them the most.

My professors encouraged me to stay involved and interact as much as I could, since this would keep me focused on something other than what was going on.

This seemed to help calm me down. When I had an outside activity to focus my time and energy on, I became less anxious and focused on it.

The more I talked about what I was feeling on the inside, the consuming thoughts or dreams, anything which held me captive from the outside world, I felt a release from the captivity everything had on me.

I became more aware of how talking about something or expressing my feelings made me feel free, free from anxiety or panic. The longer I met with the counselor, I learned what I was feeling or thinking about was normal.

I worked through the aspects which made me nervous. I had to convince myself what I was feeling was in my head, it wasn't real, and I going to be okay. I wasn't abnormal or weird. I was me, the new me. I dealt with things differently and my thought process wasn't the same. I become more comfortable discussing with people what I had been through, what I was feeling, what I needed. This made me aware of the fact I was getting better. Working through my triggers, talking myself through them, is how I overcame them and learned to be in the world with them. I was able to ride in cars, without getting sick or having to sleep, I could talk about things I couldn't before, and I was starting to be the “me” I was before.

Anxiety is something many people struggle with, some don't even know they have it. I am fortunate to have a counselor who helped me overcome the feelings I was experiencing a few months ago. I was taught how to cope with everything, calm myself down in midst of an anxious or chaotic situation, and talk through my experiences. I have an amazing support group made of my family, friends, and professors who have been behind me through this journey. I worked through anxiety by talking to a professional, surrounding myself with only supportive and encouraging people, and believing I could get past this.