6 Things You Can Do To Overcome A Bad Body Image Day

It happens to all of us, but it doesn't have to get you down!

161

Everyone has bad body image days. These are the days in which we "feel fat," "look bloated," and point out every blemish on our skin. On these days, we become vulnerable. We begin focusing on "problem areas," which makes any flaw that may be there seem even worse. Our minds can play tricks on us if we let them, so before a bad body image day spirals out of control, here are a few tips on how to nip that negative attitude in the butt and start loving yourself again!

1. Stay away from the scale. 

I know it's tempting to weigh yourself when you "feel fat" but please stay away from the scale! First of all, you are NOT defined by a number. Weight means NOTHING to your self-worth. Also, weight naturally fluctuates and, if you are in a vulnerable state already, those number can really mess with your head.

2. Think about everything your body can do. 

You have skin that keeps you warm. You have legs that walk. You have a mouth that smiles. You have eyes that can see the world. You have hands that can hold things. You have a heart that constantly beats. You have lungs that breathe. Your body works so hard to keep you alive, so respect it rather than degrade it!

3. Put on your favorite outfit.

Make yourself feel cute! Throw on your favorite outfit and rock it!

4. Remind yourself of your amazing characteristics. 

Think about your skills and talents. Think about your personality traits. Are you creative? Are you a good cook or musician? Are you generous, funny, friendly, quirky, etc? Don't focus on the superficial things. Get deep!

5. Think about all of the people who love you. 

Do they love you because of the way you look or is it because of all those characteristics you listed above?

6. Focus on your best features. 

Don't focus on your "jiggly" thighs or the fact that your belly isn't flat because, realistically, you are the only person who notices them and you are making them out to be a lot worse in your head. I bet a lot of people have noticed your smile, your eyes, or your recently manicured fingers!